Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Web Player stuck on "Advertisement"

Solved!

Web Player stuck on "Advertisement"

So my web player is stuck on a generic "advertisement." It has not loaded yet, and I cannot play any music. (Note: I am on a computer where I do not have permissions to download the full app, so that's out.) I have:

- Tried logging off and logging back on

- Tried restarting my computer

- Tried deleting cookies and browsing data

- Tried IE, Chrome and Firefox

- Tried in normal and incognito/private mode

- Tried logging out of all Spotify-enabled devices

Before I try creating a new login with a new email and losing all my playlists, or before I try tossing the computer out a window and/or never listening to music again, anyone have any ideas?

SWP Screenshot.jpg

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I saw this solution on a similar thread:

1. Log to your account

2. Click on your user icon at the bottom left

3. Click on the "Full Website" button

4. Click on any proposed album under "Looking for music?"

It didn't work the first time I did it but then I chose a different album and let it load properly and it worked 🙂

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

I had the same problem for a few days and just managed to fix it via the following method:

1. Open Spotify on your web browser to make sure the problem still exists.
  2. Open the Spotify app on your mobile device.
  3. Start playing a song on your mobile device.
  4. Tap on the "connect to device" icon on your mobile device while the song is playing.
  5. Select your computer (it should appear as long as your computer and phone are on the same wifi).

The song should now be playing on your computer!

View solution in original post

34 Replies

I've had the same problem for the past week or so.  Mine is stuck on a Napa Auto Parts ad.  I also would prefer not to create a new login and start from scratch! 

Meanwhile, I emailed Spotify support and they referred me to... the Spotify Community. So they're being real helfpul. 

Also having the same issue. Here's the link to the thread I responded to: Spotify is completely unhelpful. 

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Ongoing-Issues/Spotify-Web-Player-Stuck-on-Lowes-Ad-Chrome/idi-p/24...

I'm having the same problem. Mine has been stuck on a spotify add for a week and I can't get anything to work

I've had this same issue since yesterday. I also listen on a computer where I'm not allowed to download the app. Changed browsers, etc. Nothing works. Still stuck on this AT&T ad.

I'm stuck on a home depot add.  It never started playing the add, using different browsers was a no go.  I had read other posts where people used incognito, but that didn't help.

Wish I had a solution.  I'm basically posting to back up the idea that many people are seeing this.

Marked as solution

1. Log to your account

It didn't work the first time I did it but then I chose a different album and let it load properly and it worked 🙂

I have also had this issue for almost an entire week. No music, just an ad that refuses to play. I've swapped browsers, cleared caches, tried incognito... NOTHING WORKS. I have seen posts about this issue dating back more than a year as well, dozens of them! Do something about this Spotify... You have known about this problem far too long. 

No more Spotify for me, until you know... it plays music!

I also have the same problem since the new **bleep** player forced to everybody... i just have to hit refresh button at browser, reload the page wait 2 seconds and i have the full control back. This is the solution for me.... but i will prefer not to exist at all...

I was for many years premium member but since the new layout and options forced, i cancelled it.

Hey all!

I just had an issue similar to yours, except I was stuck on a song. ._.
What did solve the issue was opening the web player in another browser, clicking on the computer-like icon next to the volume bar and choosing the web browser I initially wanted to listen to music in.
Works the same way on mobile Spotify (~Available devices) and desktop Spotify.
Except if you have a Windows Phone (like me), don't bother trying the mobile.... it doesn't have the feature.

I searched for an Issue posted about the unplayable ads, found this Issue and one user in there found a way to get the player to work again:

1. Log to your account

/silently installs Spotify on another machine just for dodging issues/

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Same issue for me as well - stuck on ad.  I have my work computer, and home computer both having the issue, and the same ad appears in the bottom left on both browsers.  Because of that, it appears to be something stored on the server, rather than cookie/local storage, as many know that clearing those will not help.

The solutions that are proposed for selecting the Connect to Device > This Web Browser is for a separate problem (I have run into that issue as well, and it is different than this).

Our company's security blocks the executable for Spotify, so using the desktop app is not an option for me.  Really hoping this gets looked into soon.

@Amlee wrote:

1. Log to your account

To my surprised this actually worked. Thank you so much for this information!

Unfortunately this didn't work for me.  I've since signed up for a new account but that is like cheating and feels like taking the easy way out.  This shouldn't be that hard.

Hi out there!

A solution is to open Incognito window in Chrome or Private in FF and login to your account there too and choose to play music at this browser(just hit play), then go back to the normal and choose from the Devices "Listen to this Device" and magically the problem solved.

Marked as solution

I had the same problem for a few days and just managed to fix it via the following method:

1. Open Spotify on your web browser to make sure the problem still exists.
  2. Open the Spotify app on your mobile device.
  3. Start playing a song on your mobile device.
  4. Tap on the "connect to device" icon on your mobile device while the song is playing.
  5. Select your computer (it should appear as long as your computer and phone are on the same wifi).

The song should now be playing on your computer!

This worked - I had to install the app on my phone but it did get my desktop browser version unstuck.  Thanks for the help!

This didn't work for me unfortunately.

Hey to all, again!

For all those who still have this issue: it's being looked into!

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Opening the app on my phone turns out is only a temporary fix as when the next ad comes up, the same issue occurs and I have to go through tho whole process again.  So, not fixed but from the post above here Spotify is aware of it and hopefully will solve it soon.  

Suggested posts