Free

Country

Canada

Device

Chromebook

Operating System

Windows OS

My Question or Issue

I use Spotify Web Player. I've used it for a year or two on this device without any difficulty at all. However, about 4-5 months ago it stopped working despite me not doing anything different. I would select one song to play, and instead of playing like it should, it would play silently for exactly 10 seconds (not actually making any sound) and then skip through the next few songs in the playlist, and then proceed to play an ad that works perfectly fine with no problem at all.

I've tried to get it to work on incognito/guest mode, as well as off guest mode, and even with the desktop app I have the same problem. I've tried signing in on another device (connected to the same network) and it works just fine. I know it's not the fault of my Chromebook, my network connection or my account. Probably just a bug they haven't fixed right?

Either way it's gotten real annoying at this point and is driving me away from even wanting to use Spotify. I might as well use some other music platform that can actually do the bare minimum for me, but I have lots many playlists on Spotify that I don't feel like moving so I thought I'd mention here before making the move. I've seen other posts regarding this but with no resolution, and it's been a while so I figured making my own post might bring some attention to it again.

9 Replies

Hey there @luvrayeon,

Thanks for reaching out to the Community and welcome!

Can you make sure that you're running the latest version of the Chrome browser? You can find which is the latest version over here.

You mentioned that you also tried with the desktop app, however, it isn't available for Chromebook, so just to confirm, did you try the desktop app on a different device?

If possible, try downloading the Android app on your Chromebook and let us know if the same happens there. Find the steps to do so here.

Keep us posted on how it goes.

CarlosEModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

i have this same problem but after the ads (that my adblockers skip) it plays whatever song it wants. and i use webplayer on opera GX (latest version) with windows 10 pro. I have used the log out evrywhere and restarted my browser and will restart my pc after i type this.

Hi there @ZXTcorp,

Thank you for your reply and the troubleshooting that you've done so far.

Can you let us know if you see any difference after cleaning cache and cookies?

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Have a great continued weekend 🙂

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

A similar problem happens with podcasts. When you open the app, it won't go to the spot where you left off last session. Instead, it will skip forward to the next ad block and continue the podcast from that spot. So, the app often skips up to 30 minutes of material just so it can get to the next trio of ads. It's very frustrating and requires you to listen to the ads, then manually skip around to find the spot where you left off, then listen to the ads again when you reach that point again. Even worse is that, if the last group of ads comes at the end of the podcast, the app will actually play the ads then start a completely different episode. Then, you have to quit that episode, find the other episode you were listening to, find the spot where you had left of, and so on. The Spotify app (iOS version) is soooo much worse than other apps. I only use it for the one podcast I like that is a Spotify exclusive. For everything else, I use Apple Podcasts, which is a far superior user experience.

Hey there @ssf27

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community. 

We're sorry to know that you've been having issues while listening to podcasts. Could you let us know which troubleshooting steps you've already tried? That way we can avoid repeating any steps.

If you haven't tried performing a clean reinstall of the app yet, we suggest that you do so by following these specific steps to see if those make the difference. 

We'll be on the lookout.

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Hi Eni,

Unfortunately, I'm still having the same issue after performing a clean reinstallation. 

What is the next step I should try?

Thanks!

Hey there,

Thanks for the replies.

First, it's important to turn off the adblocker, if you're using one.

Next is to clear the cache and the cookies of your browser and if this doesn't help, to try another browser.

Afterwards switch the network connections with an e.g. a hot spot from your phone.

As a last option for now I propose also checking if a different account yields the same results.

Let us know how these steps went,

Cheers!

DianModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

I have the same problem.  When I log into my account on my wife's chromebook or on my chromebook, it only plays a few seconds of a song.  Her spotify account works just fine on both of our chromebooks.  It doesn't make any sense.  

Hey @notplayingsongs,

Thanks for posting in this thread!

Just to check, could you try clearing cache and cookies from your browser to see if makes any difference? Does the same thing happen open the Web Player using another browser?

Also, are you having issues listening to music using the mobile or desktop app?

Let us know how you get on.

MariaModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts