Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Web player won't play music

Web player won't play music

I'm running the most recent version of Chrome, and attempting to use the web player to stream music while I'm at work. I know that there aren't firewall settings that would prevent the music from playing, and have confirmed with other coworkers that they are able to use the web player. I've made certain to enable any settings suggested by the FAQs. 

Earlier when I was trying to play music, Spotify connect told me it was playing music on my home laptop and refused to switch over to the browser. After logging out and logging back in it no longer says this but still refuses to play any music via browser. 

Any suggestions you have would be appreciated. 

7 Replies

Hey @mousemaus

Leths try this to get it working again: 🙂

First, delete your browser's cookies and cache.

Then, do this:

1. Log to your web player

2. Click on your user icon at the bottom left

3. Click on the "Full Website" button

4. Click on any proposed album under "Looking for music?"

You may have to log out again, go to your Spotify account, click on 'Sign Out Everywhere' and then try doing this again.

Let me know how this goes!

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I am having the same problem. I did what you said above and it did not work. It logs in and freezes on me.

Just another "me too" message. Trying to use web player on chrome under linux. Was working fine a couple of weeks ago. Developer console lists an exception plus a couple of http errors...

@collywobble

More things you can check that may cause these issues:

Make sure the Widewine plugin is allowed to always run.

You can also try another browser (Edge works well too) and incognito / safe mode (Firefox has it, it's the 'addons disabled'-mode). If incognito or Firefox' safe mode works, then it might have something to do with an unfriendly addon.

What else might work is routing the playback to the web player from your mobile client using Spotify Connect.

SebastySpotify Star

Thanks for the suggestions everyone - I just got mad at it after a minute and downloaded the actual application. 😕 

Let's hope the system administrator doesn't say anything. 

@mousemaus

Technically speaking, if you run Spotify from a thumb drive, the sysadmin should have nothing to say. ; )

If you go to %AppData% and copy the Spotify folder in Roaming to an external drive, you can run it in every computer. It should work with the new client too, it worked really well with the old clients. 🙂

There's a folder for Spotify in Local too, but that's not needed.

Well, it might be a little slower to start this way, though. You'll have to go to your thumb drive's Spotify folder and click on either Spotifylauncher.exe or spotify.exe (for me the latter works) to start it, too.
I also noticed it will create little Spotify folders in Appdata, they are just fairly empty.

Not a very preferred workaround, but as long as it works, it's cool.

SebastySpotify Star

@Sebasty, thanks for your hints. In my case I discovered that if I toggled the 'shuffle' button and refreshed the web player then the player started working again. Somewhat mysterious, but successful nonetheless...

Suggested posts