Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

What is the difference between a "station" and a "playlist"?

What is the difference between a "station" and a "playlist"?

I created a "station" called "Kings of Leon" radio. It played for a while (maybe 2 hours). I gave some songs a thumbs up and gave some a thumbs down. After about 2 hours, the songs started repeating. I started skipping through them and noticed that it was the EXACT same list of songs.

Isn't that just a playlist that is inspired by Kings of Leon? I thought radio would play ad infinitum and improve itself as I gave songs a thumbs up and thumbs down. Do I have this understanding wrong? 

7 Replies

The Radio Stations will play songs related to what you based the radio channel on.

Thanks for your reply, archenflores.

But if I search for "Kings of Leon", I'll find TONS of "Playlists" that are also songs that are related to what I based the search on. So what's the difference? Seems to me that both "stations" and "playlists" are giving me a finite list of similar songs.

Humm ... thanks for the link. But--unfortunatley--it makes me more confused than I was before. Am I dealing with "stations" or "radio"?

I will give you example to make it easy.. e.g. I choose Ed Sheeran (Artist) or Shape Of You (Song) to play on radio. The artist or the song is the STATION, and will be playing in RADIO mode.

OK. Thanks. That does answer the secondary question.

But the initial question is still unanswered. In "radio" mode, when I'm playing a "station", why does it give me only 2 hours of music. How is that different than a playlist that is inspired by that artist?

I dont know either. One thing for sure radio station only have small number of tracks. 😉

Suggested posts