Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Whatever song I search keeps repeating

Whatever song I search keeps repeating

When I look up a song on Spotify I press play and the song plays and that's nice but then when the song ends this song gets repeated and that's not nice I don't want to listen to the song I just listened to so does anyone know how to stop this it started happening the last few days thank you in advance

Example:

I look up Bruce Springsteen - The River (shout out to The Boss. He's got some classics, man)

So we end up with this, for example:

Bruce Springsteen - The River (I looked it up, nice)

Bruce Springsteen - The River (It's playing again, my repeat button is not enabled, not nice, do not want)

Nick Cave - Into My Arms (your algorithm doing its job! Had tickets for Mr Cave, shame about COVID.)

The Rolling Stones - Wild Horses

Dire Straits - Brother In Arms

Etc. you get the gist, I'm not gonna type out every song the algorithm gives me.

I've tried it all, Spotify. I've done a fresh install of the application. I've gone in to my account settings on desktop and click on "sign out everywhere". Changed my password, login in again, clicked on "sign out everywhere" again, logged back in. I'm at your mercy. 

P.S. As a big Arsenal fan, I'm hoping your attempt to purchase the club goes through, Mr Ek! We can't be having these leeching Kroenkes around anymore, man. 

10 Replies

Hi there @KTT2represent

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community. 

This behavior of the app is expected because of the Autoplay feature.  

Autoplay creates a new playlist with recommendations based on the songs you searched and listened to once it finishes.

This feature works great with albums and playlist as it has several songs to use to create different suggestions. However, when you search for a song and play only that song, the app will only have one song to choose from to create the new playlist, so this is the reason why that the new playlist will start with the same song sometimes.

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us and will make sure to pass it onto the right team, as we always strive to improve your experience.

If you need help with anything else, just let us know.

Cheers!

EniModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

• Appreciate that there is actually a solution to this, but this shouldn’t be a problem in the first place. When someone searches for a song on a streaming app and hits play, they want to hear that song. But they want to hear that song ONE time… not on repeat. Repeat should be an option, it shouldn’t be the default. good God, you tech programmers have got to get outside sometime. 

As this topic is still the top result when googling, I'm afraid there is still no solutiom to this?

What we want ia:

When searching for ONE song, play this one song.

From that point on, the algoritm may take over and do its magic.

But we do not want to hear the song we searched a second time.

In programmers language:

If song 0 = done, start algorithm playlist

Playlist may not start with song 0.

Or:

If song 0 = done, STOP. (Although not a personal preference)

Still no solution and it’s so annoying, I might cancel the plan and move to YT premium instead, so unfortunate

I think I found the problem… 

When you search a song and you still have the repeat function on (the repeat for a playlist not for 1 song) it will keep playing the song you searched for. However I just turned it off and now it plays songs that match the song I searched for. 
I hope this helped you guys out.

Exactly, like why does it automatically go on repeat. If we wanted to listen to the same song over and over again we would put it on repeat ourselves. But it should NOT be the default it’s honestly so annoying.

Thanks! That’s been frustrating me for a while… removing the repeat solves the issue! 

2023 almost 2024 and still no solution to this?

I recently upgraded from pixel 5 to pixel 8 pro. On my old phone i had an older Spotify build  songs never repeated after searching. Now on my pixel 8 repeat constantly turns on...even after turning it off. Happens several times a day, frankly its super annoying and makes me want to cancel my premium plan. I sincerely doubt whoever signed off on this being a feature has no idea what UX is. Give us back the option to have it off by default.

2 years on and this is still happening. YouTube manages to play similar songs after searching for just one song, so why can't Spotify figure out how to do the same??

Thank you so much 😍😍😍

Suggested posts