Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

When are Spotify stopping supporting Pioneer Receivers which support Spotify Connect?

When are Spotify stopping supporting Pioneer Receivers which support Spotify Connect?

Hi,

I received an email yesterday to say Spotify are stopping support for my Pioneer Speaker soon.

- When is soon?

- Does stopping support mean Spotify just won't support it or it will stop working?
Stopping support means a company won't address issues but I believe Spotify are going to actually stop the feature from working.

- Why? There's no reason given why this is necessary.

The email rather bizzaely says:

"We want to make playing Spotify on your speaker and other devices better and easier"

How is stopping support better or easier? Why not just stop supporting it? So if it breaks too bad.

I only bought my receiver 2 years ago specifically as it supported Spotifty Connect. Spotify is in part more popular over rivals as Spotify works on so many devices, or did.

I guess like everyone else I'll need to buy a Chromecast Audio 😕

383 Replies

Oh, i was wondering today (and spend 3h to figure this out) my spotify connect is not working with my pioneer VSX-S510 (Europe), yet, it's still on list at spotifygear. Now i know why. I did not receive any mail regarding this. And holy fck this is bs and super bad service. 

I did some research on Google what's going on with my Pioneer VSX-924 and the connectivity issue. There is no way Spotify is going to just brutally take this feature away! The main reason for selecting this amp was Spotify compitability! As some of you guys already said I've got very, very expensive sound system now basically without use! Please, do inform Spotify support about this issue! There are plenty of us with these Pioneer devices!

Hey guys, this is a big no-no... We bought speakers with Spotify Connect for one thing... To use it with Spotify... Taking it away from us means we have no use for them anymore. Please reconsider this and make a 'legacy' Spotify Connect as a lot of us don't have the ability to shell out more $ for new systems and we still pay you Premium every month...

Immagine.png

Official Pioneer Support answer to my questions : 

"We just checked with our engineers this speaker will not be supporting Spotify anymore through this speaker due to the sudden change of Spotify streaming services."

I don't have any words, seriously. 

Immagine.pngUpdate 2: This was a decision made by Spotify and only Spotify. #shameonyou It's official now.

I'm just going to cancel my subscription. I can't use this on my amp so why pay for something that doesn't work!!!

I am currently exchanging messages with Spotify support. Nothing concrete so far, only talk about 'improving the listening experience'. Please show your concerns and contact their support. 

spotify connect stopped working on my Pioneer XW-SMA4 

BUT, don't panic

AIRPLAY STILL WORKS

no need to buy anything to continue playing music wireless from your pioneer speakers

I don't have an iDevice so I can't use airplay

@Fedeciapi wrote:

spotify connect stopped working on my Pioneer XW-SMA4 

BUT, don't panic

AIRPLAY STILL WORKS

no need to buy anything to continue playing music wireless from your pioneer speakers

it also works on my Mac

not sure about windows or android devices

Airplay is - as far as i know - nothing else than bluetooth. So yeah, that still works.

For those devices that have bluetooth. But my Receiver doesn't. 

And I don't want to use bluetooth anyway because of limited range and quality (my receiver is connected via LAN cable, so everything over the network, like Spotify Connect over a connected WiFi Router, is a far better alternative).

Good for you, if you don't need the range or quality, but other people do or want.

Only problem with AirPlay is that the quality is junk compared to Connect and I prefer my audio streams to be separate and of course, use my equipment for it's intended purchase which was Spotify 😉

Hi,

I replaced my previous Pioneer receiver 3 years ago for the newer VSX-1123. Of course, you can use airplay. but then your device is constantly transmitting Wi-Fi signals and besides I don't like to have a constant transmitting device near to me, the battery of a iPad or phone is in that case in constant use. So not handy at all.
I will seriously be looking for an alternative for this unreliable Spotify company.
Best regards,

Rob

And it took me several hours today to find out that it was not caused by my equipment 😞

Is chromecast and Google play music an alternative?

And another VSX-923 here, not working anymore.

I bought this device specifically because of the Spotify Connect Feature, which now just fails to work - This is my primary device where i enjoy music.

Yes, i can use Airplay. But i live in an urban area where the wifi quality is pretty bad because of interferences.

The "**bleep**" hama kitchen radio is running properly with spotify connect (thanks spotify, i appreciate that very much!!!)

Hi all,

If Spotify Connect isn't working anymore, you can use any other comparable service to stream it via WI-FI to your receiver. 
And I just found out that Apple Music for example is offering a 90 days free trial period.
So let start looking for alternatives?
BR,
Rob

Hi, just terminated my spotify family account and started test period on google music, they have google cast for streaming. App itself is not that userfriendly as spotify, but well see...

I am not giving up Spotify Connect and high quality audio streaming on my
amp. Bluetooth and poor quality audio is not even something to consider as
an alternative for Spotify Connect.

I've paid for Premium because of this feature that I **bleep** the most in
Spotify - connectivity to my high quality amp. Now this main feature I
bought the amp for is being taken away. I am not accepting this.

I have no reason to continue Spotify subscription without it. I am seeking
for alternatives if Spotify doesn't draw back this really poor decision.

Rob, the only problem is that my speaker for example is not surported out of the box like it was on Spotify, hence the simplicity of Spotify Connect. I can still use it w/ Airplay and so can a lot of other apps, but the quality isn't as good and it drains a lot more battery than Connect 😞

Suggested posts