Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

When telling Google Assistant to play music on a group - It looks for music matching the group name

When telling Google Assistant to play music on a group - It looks for music matching the group name

Plan

Premium

Country

US and Canada 

Device

All Google Assistant/Home Devices

My Question or Issue

When requesting Google Assistant/Home "Play music from spotify on "X group" where X group is the name of the Google Device group, spotify is using the group name in the query of what to play. 

So in an example where the group is "office group" it plays music from matches like "best music for office focus" or "cat office music" 😅.

This change started ~ a month or so ago since I've always used group names in my specific triggers. 
Anyway to stop doing this? 

3 Replies

Hey there @_woahwoahwoah,

Thanks for reaching out to the Community and welcome.

We recommend unlinking your Spotify and Google Home accounts, restarting your router, and linking them again by following the steps in this article.

If the issue persists, it might be worth running a clean reinstall of the app by following these steps. This can be helpful to get rid of any cached files that might be causing trouble.

If that doesn't help, could you let us know if this started happening after a specific event, such as a Spotify or Google Home app update?

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

CarlosEModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

Hi @CarlosE , 

Thanks for the reply. 
That's something I definetly tried after reading some posts about similar issues but didn't work. 

Let me try to explain the issue in more detail. 

Example:
1) Hey Google, Play Music on Office Group
vs.

2) Hey Google, Play Music

vs.

3) Hey Google,  Play "Today's Top Hits" on Office Group

(Where Office group is a speaker group)

For 1) While the right speaker group is selected, spotify is looking for music that is similar to "play music on office group" rather than just "play music". Because of this, it finds playlists like "Music for the Office" or "Focus Group" which I don't follow or listen to. 

For 2) Spotify will use "play music" as the command and play music from a recent playlist or one I follow (as expected) but I can't specify the speaker group without going into the app.

For 3) Because I am explicit with the playlist and the group, it works as expected. 

I've been using command 1) for a while now and it isnt' a huge deal to have to be explicit with the playlist, but I would prefer to have it pick playlists from my library rather than having to pick an explicit playlist. This seems to have changed relatively recently. 

Hopefully that clarrifies, looking forward to your suggestions. 
Thanks!

Hi again @_woahwoahwoah,

Thanks for keeping in touch and for the extra info.

We suggest making sure that the firmware of your Google devices is up-to-date.

It's recommended to be more specific when requesting music on a specific group of devices. In this case, we suggest to use the commands "Play my songs" or ''Play my library'' instead of just ''Play music'' when you're also specifying the group you want the music to be streamed from, as that way the Google Assistant can have a better understanding of what exactly is being asked.

You can take a look at this article about Spotify voice commands on Google devices for more info.

We hope this helps. If you have any questions, we'll be right here.

Cheers!

CarlosEModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

Suggested posts