Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Yamaha RX-V677 does not show as device for Spotify Connect

Yamaha RX-V677 does not show as device for Spotify Connect

No matter what I have tried, my Yamaha RX-V677 will not show up as an available device in the spotify list.

I have an HTC One M8, Samsung TN-330U 8" latest gen tablet and Yamaha RX-V677 receiver.

HTC one and Samsung tablet talk to each other and I can control the Yamaha with the Yamaha AVR controller droid app the HTC one or the Tablet or both at same time, etc...  In spotify app on tablet and on my HTC phone they each show up in the avilable and I can control one with the other and vice versa.  I coud use the phone to steam/play to tablet, or the other way around.

All devices are all on the same wifi network, same subnet, Premium subscription.

Yamaha connects fine to my network, I can use HTC CONNECT to it just fine.  I can completely control the Yamaha using the droids, the Yamaha plays NET RADIO just fine and streams all of my music from my main server just fine.

No matter what I have tried, the Yamaha simply will not show up in the list of available devices on the HTC one or the Tablet which tells me its not the droid devices, it's not the network (or needing to do any port forwarding, etc).

What on earth could the issue be?

9 Replies

Also, latest 1.45 firmware on yamaha and most recent available spotify version.

So I spent some time browsing the forum and this is not just a Yamaha issue but also happens on DENON and ONKYO and PIONEER as well.  Same issue as mine where people have droids or apple devices that work to control their AVR using the AVR apple or droid app but the AVR itself will not show up on the Spotify list as an available device to connect to.

Random "fixes" like durning DHCP on/off, power cycling equipment, monkeying about with firewall settings, using "test" accounts with Spotify, etc in order to fix this.

Something seems seriously flawed with the protocols/design of SPOTIFY CONNECT that are integrated into the modern AVR's. 

My Yamaha RX-V677 was $599.  The DENON ONKYO and PIONEER lines that have some of the more cool features like HTC CONNECT, Airplay, WiFi, MHL support, 4k pass thru, etc are all simliar in price of this 600 to 1200 range.

So my $600 Yamaha, where EVERYTHING on it works beautifully, but Spotify connect does not is ridiculous.  I am on Day 1 of the 30 day "Premium" trial and had the Spotify Connect worked from the get go I would have zero reservations about becoming a full time Spotify Member and happily auto pay the monthly fee (mainly because of the black metal and death metal stations).

So...  If anyone has an actaul FIX for this, that at this point is no specific to YAMAHA since I have read of other brands having same problems, please speak up.

It does not help that support simply sends me links to generic t-shooting and canned responses.  Clearly, there is a SPOTIFY CONNECT problem with modern AVR's...  I have no problems with the app itself on my samsung tablet or my htc one phone, and i have zero problems controlling my avr from either device.

The main issue, common to all problems, is the actaul spotify connect feature and setting the AVR into SPOTIFY mode that is fubar.  Really lame, IMO...........

And just when I thought it could not get any worse, I just received this response from support after telling them of my issues with the RX-V677.

"On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 support@spotify.com wrote:

Hello there,

Thanks for coming through to us again, I hope you're well.

I've had a look at i'm afraid that particular model isnt compatible with the connect feature.

I apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Please come back to me if you have any other questions.  

Kind regards,

XXXXXXX  ♫
Spotify Customer Support"

This is getting laughable. 

I have an RX-V675 and have the same issue but using iOS. I can't get the stereo to show up on my phone or iPad. I have an old Android tablet...I will try that out next just to see. Sorry I don't have any answers yet, just subscribing to let you know you're not alone! I submitted a ticket with Yamaha yesterday, so I'll see what they have to say.

Can't believe they are telling you the stereo isn't supported! They are touting all over their website all their partners, and Yamaha is one of them! The stereo came with Spotify Connect built-in...how the heck can they say it is not supported???

Side note, I also was having issues with Pandora on this stereo. Not sure if it is related, but with Pandora it would constantly have glitches at the beginning of each song played (would pause for a while like it is buffering). If I play anything through AirPlay it is pretty flawless, however. I'd rather use Spotify Connect so that I don't run down my phone or iPad battery. I'm working to dump Pandora too...

Per Yamaha's recommendation, I did a hard reset on the receiver, and it started working! Hopefully this will stick.

1) Turn the receiver off
2) On the front panel, press and hold the 'STRAIGHT' button. While holding the button, click the main power key, then release 'STRAIGHT'
3) Press the 'PROGRAM' L/R key until "INIT-CANCEL" is displayed. Press 'STRAIGHT' until "CANCEL" changes to "ALL"
4) Press the power button twice.

After a reset, the receiver will be properly configured for a wired network connection, so no initial configuration will be required. Let me know if this does not resolve the issue.

Sorry to say but this did no difference 😞 Just reseted all my settings 😛

Ok my friend! First of all I actually saw your post a few weeks ago when I started having the same issue. And since there was no answer to fix the problem I forgot about it.
Only today when I was messing with this problem and fixed it in my house I decided to look for your post to share my solution.

My problem began EXACTLY when I upgraded to premium so, in my logic, I thought that the upgrade made it stop working.

My problem was actually in the network configuration on the receiver and that's why the hard reset suggested by the other guy worked for him.

Although my wired network runs on the ip 192.168.25.X, somehow for some reason the auto DHCP on the receiver decided to pick its IP as 192.168.182.x.
When I was messing with the network connection I found that odd and decided to change it mannually. All network connections continued to work on the manual IP, so I thought: ok werido, whatever.

Only after 20 days of trying to figure out why the heck it wouldn't show on Spotify and changed it back manually to 192.168.182.X it immediately showed as a device on Spotify. So I went ahead and just left the DHCP to auto.
I don't know exactly your connection but you might give it a try to mess around with auto DHCP and see if it solves the problem.
I hope I could help!

For the first time I've fixed this without trial and error.

I checked the IP address the amp said it was on then went to my router admin to check the connected devices. There was another device using the IP address the amp reported so I manually set it to an address that wasn't in use. The amp immediately came up in Spotify Connect (and Airplay).

I found the solution for this. See if it works for you:

1. Get into the network setup of the receiver.
  2. In Default Gateway enter manually the IP address of your router (in my case, the receiver had it wrong).
  3. In IP Address enter also manually an IP address that’s not being used by any device within your wireless network. To check out which, get into your router configuration and see which devices are connected and their respective IP addresses. For example:

ID            MAC Address                    IP Address

1              XX-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX        192.168.15.100

2              XX-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX        192.168.15.101

3              XX-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX        192.168.15.102

4              XX-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX        192.168.15.103

5              XX-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX        192.168.15.108

In this case, you could choose the IP address 192.168.15.107 (or another).

READY! In the router device info, a new connected device should appear with the IP address you chose for the receiver.

SOMETHING ELSE: It may be necessary to configure the DNS in the receiver as follows:

• DNS (P): 8.8.8.8
  • DNS (S): 8.8.4.4

Suggested posts