Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

"Sorry, I can't change the volume on this device" - Google Home

"Sorry, I can't change the volume on this device" - Google Home

Since a few weeks it's impossible to change the volume on my google home devices 😪

14 Replies

Hi @ronald-oslo,

Thanks for reaching out to us in the Community!

Could you let us know which troubleshooting steps you've done so far so we avoid repeating them? If you haven't already, try performing a clean reinstall of the app to see if that does the trick.

You can also try unlinking your Spotify account from your Google Home and linking it again:

1. In the Google Home app, tap Account in the top-right.
  2. Tap Settings.
  3. Tap Music under services.
  4. Tap UNLINK.
  5. Link your Spotify account again.

Let us know how it goes.

Take care!

YordanModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

It's not really an app (I just tell google to play music, and it starts), so reinstalling is not an option.

I just tried unlinking my account and re-linking it. After this, the problem stays 😞

Me: "Hey Google, Play some music" 

Google Assistant: "Sure, Music from Spotify"

Me: "Hey Google, raise the volume"

Google Assistant: "Sorry, I can't change the volume on this device"

Hey @ronald-oslo,

Thanks for the reply.

Can you check whether you can adjust the volume from the Spotify app on your phone while the Google speaker is playing.

If that doesn't help, you might want to clear the cache on your Google Assistant app as well.

Keep us posted.

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Same problem here. “Can’t change volume in this device” - when playing Spotify on a pair of Google Home speakers. There is no problem with changing the volume using  standard voice commands when using YouTube music or other providers. There is a huge thread in Googles support forum with hundreds of people experiencing the same issue recently. No solution so far. Please help. 

Yes, I can 🙂 that’s the only option right now

+1. very frustrating.

Hey folks,

Thanks for your replies.

To confirm, did you get to clear the Google Assistant app's cache?

Additionally, try restarting your routers to see if that makes any difference.

Keep us posted.

CarlosEModerator

If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

my devices are brand new, and set up on a recently factory reset. so there's not much to clear/reset. also, the speaker group (nest audio & nest mini) is new.

Unfortunately, this is a recently developed problem with Google Home. It's not unique to Spotify or to your products, and there's doesn't appear to be a fix yet-

https://www.reddit.com/r/googlehome/comments/rhdgg3/sorry_i_cant_change_the_volume_on_this_device/

Hey @nell,

Thanks for the reply.

Could you let us know if you can adjust the volume from your phone while the speaker group is playing?

Let us know if this issue is present only when playing music from a group of speakers or when using a single speaker as well.

Keep us posted.

AlexModerator

yes I can control volume both in the Spotify app and in Google Home.

https://www.googlenestcommunity.com/t5/Speakers-and-Displays/Google-Nest-Mini-gen-2-keeps-saying-quo...

Thanks Carlos, for me, doing those things don’t solve the issue unfortunately. I have to add that I found out that it’s possible to change the volume if i mention the name of the specific Google assistant, so “Hey Google, change the volume on living room assistant” works.

When playing music on a speaker group, changing the volume doesn’t work for the whole group anymore, only for individual speakers.

Are you playing in a “speaker group” too?

Hi @ronald-oslo,

Thank you for your reply and sharing that information.

To every folk experiencing this issue, could you confirm if you're using a speaker group, and if you do, let us know if you're able to change the volume if you specify the device where you're going to change the volume? 

Keep us posted.

MafeGModerator

Suggested posts