Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

web player skiping 5 songs then not playing past 10 seconds

web player skiping 5 songs then not playing past 10 seconds

im on the web player and everytime i click play it skips 5 songs then it'll play the song but when it hits ten seconds it goes quite. it says that the song is being played but i cant hear it

18 Replies

Having the same issue today September 1st 2021. Clearing cookies did not fix the problem. Using Chrome.

This happened in 2020 as well and it took weeks for spotify to fix it. Its a bummer.

This started for me on September 1, 2021. Now it's the fourth of September, and it's still doing that. I'm using the Web version of Spotify (on my Chromebook) as well, but I've tried it on the app, and it's doing the same thing. I really hope they fix this issue.

Hey folks,

Thanks for reaching out to the Community!

Could you try using the web player in a private/incognito window and another browser?

If there isn't any difference, try using a different Internet connection if possible, like another WiFi network or a mobile hotspot.

@sufuR, just to confirm, is that happening with the Android app in your Chromebook or did you try the app on another device?

Keep us posted.

CarlosEModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

I opened the Spotify app on my Chromebook. On my tablet, it works like a charm. It may be because there is something wrong with my Chromebook or the Web version, I'm not completely sure.

Hey @sufuR,

Thanks for keeping us posted 🙂

It's a good idea to check if the firmware is up-to-date. 

We'd suggest you also reinstall the app to see if that makes a difference. 

Just to double-check- does this persist after trying the troubleshooting steps @CarlosE mentioned?

Keep us in the loop. 

Ver Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

This is happening to me too 😕 Google brings up the same issue multiple times over the years, but I'm glad to see I'm not alone in the September 2021 saga!

The web player is the only option for me on this Chromebook (app is not available to download). Same issue occurs on Chrome Incognito. No updates available for Chrome OS. Spotify works fine on other devices/on app version.

On this Chromebook, the web player plays 5 songs for 1 second each, then the 6th song plays for 9 seconds and then there's no sound (but it visually looks like it continues to play).

Console logs:

POST https://gew-spclient.spotify.com/widevine-license/v1/audio/license?exp=1631039000&cp=&tok=790988669A... 400
license:1 POST https://gew-spclient.spotify.com/widevine-license/v1/audio/license?exp=1631039002&cp=&tok=D5283BC25C... 400
license:1 POST https://gew-spclient.spotify.com/widevine-license/v1/audio/license?exp=1631039004&cp=&tok=F012E20BE0... 400
license:1 POST https://gew-spclient.spotify.com/widevine-license/v1/audio/license?exp=1631039006&cp=&tok=C100A685BA... 400
license:1 POST https://gew-spclient.spotify.com/widevine-license/v1/audio/license?exp=1631039008&cp=&tok=25558D2B16... 400
license:1 POST https://gew-spclient.spotify.com/widevine-license/v1/audio/license?exp=1631039010&cp=&tok=375926451C... 400

Hi @RhonaM,

Thank you for posting on this thread. 

Please try clearing the Hosts file on your computer and test again the Web Player. These are the steps. 

If this doesn't do the trick, try using a different browser and let us know if you notice any difference.

Keep us posted. 

MafeGModerator

Hi,

I responded yesterday, but the reply immediately disappeared. I've tried to reply to other threads but they've disappeared too. I'm not sure what's happening, but I'll try again!

As far as I'm aware, there's no such thing as a Hosts file on Chromebooks. Chromebooks run Chrome OS, not Windows. 

Likewise, there are no other web browsers available to me on this device. Newer Chromebooks can access the app store and download Android-compatible browsers I believe, but the only browser available to me is Chrome.

I'm wondering if a change has been made to the web player which is affecting backwards compatibility with Chrome? On this Chromebook (Acer C720) no further OS updates are available, so I'm stuck with version 76.0.3809.136. I've had no issues with any other websites, so it'll be really disappointing if this can't be fixed.

Hi @RhonaM,

Thank you for your reply, we're glad you were able to finally post it.

Apologies for the confusion about the steps for Chromebook and thank you for the kind clarification. 

In this case, we suggest you start by clearing all Cookies and Cache from your browser. 

If the issue persists, can you log in with another account, such as a friend's or a family member's to see if the issue persists? Alternatively, you can create a free account here, just make sure you're logged out of your own account before creating a new one.  

This will help us narrow down the issue.

Keep us posted!

MafeGModerator

I just tried clearing my cookies and it didn't work.

I also tried using my sister's account and it's doing the same thing.

I hope this helps in the investigation of the problem.

@CarlosE,

I'm experiencing the same problem on an older Chromebook, software version 84.0.4147.136.

I've changed wifi sources - no change

I've tried web player in chrome and in cognito - no change

I've downloaded the app to the chromebook - no change

This post has a great write-up as well; https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Linux/songs-skip-after-1-second/m-p/5255215#M20657

Podcasts will play just fine. It's only songs that are affected.

Any resolution for this would be greatly appreciated. I'm on the free trial at the moment, and was about to upgrade to a family plan, but I will not do so while this issue is ongoing. Big fan of your program - I hope this can be resolved.

@housebus,

Podcasts work for you?

I tried playing a podcast, and it did the same thing it was doing to the songs; just instead of going down the list, it went up.

I don't know if that was important or not, but I hope it helps narrow down the list of possibilities.

hey @sufuR since you asked I double checked.

It seems like short episode podcasts do exactly what you're describing; play for one second, then go up the playlist.

Podcasts that are about an hour long have a "hard start" 0:00 ... 0:01 ... 0:00 ... then they play normally.

Very long podcasts seemed to play normally for me.

I tried a very long song (Alice's Restaurant at 22 min,) and it still did what we've described above for songs.

I haven't been able to replicate the issue with podcasts yet. I just tried a 6 minute episode, but it still played fine for me. Songs (regardless of length) still do the 1 second x 5 songs thing.

@MafeG, the issue persists after clearing cache and cookies. If I sign on to this device using another account, the issue persists. When I sign on to another device using my own account, there are no issues.

The problem seems to be specific to older versions of Google Chrome running the web player.

Hey folks!

Thanks for your continued reports.

Based on all the info gathered, it indeed seems that this is caused by some incompatibility between older Chromebooks and the available software on them and Spotify.

As a whole, as the app gets updated, it starts having different requirements for proper operation and if the Chromebooks are some generations older it can be an issue, that we're afraid that we cannot remedy, because it will probably require reverting the Spotify app to older versions.

We're sorry we can't offer any better alternatives for those using such devices at this time.

Let us know if there's anything else we can help out with on the Community.

ElenaModerator

Stainless88, I'd recommend saving your money. As Elena mentioned above Spotify is not going to support our older Chromebooks. youtube music with an adblocker isn't bad.

Hey folks,

If you're experiencing this in December '22, you can let us know in this thread. 

Feel free to leave your details like your device's model and OS version, along with the Spotify version you're currently running. If you don't know how to check it - go to this FAQ.

We appreciate your understanding!

Cheers! 

LyubkaModerator

Suggested posts