Cuica — The Most Provocative Instrument of Brazilian Music

Highlighted

Cuica — The Most Provocative Instrument of Brazilian Music

FunkishAudio
Roadie

I love the sound of the cuica! It’s certainly unique, and an integral part of Brazilian music, and the Samba sound. The cuica has a certain playful lasciviousness to its sublime sound. Add a cuica into the background of any Funk song (or even Rock song, which you’ll hear in my playlist), and you turn heads because everyone wants to know... “What’s that awesome sound I here?!”

Listen to a Spotify playlist and read the blog post at http://www.funkish.audio/cuica/ with examples of intriguing use of the cuica in gringo music (from James Brown, Miles Davis, The Rolling Stones, Beastie Boys, and more), as well as traditional examples from Batucada, Samba Soul, and other creative examples of how the cuica sounds in today's Brazilian music. Watch videos about Brazil’s king of the cuica, Salve Mestre Osvaldinho da Cuíca, and learn all about this one-of-a kind musical instrument.

lpCuica.jpgBrazilian Cuicacuica.pngCool Cuica Music

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

4 Replies

Re: Cuica — The Most Provocative Instrument of Brazilian Music

Jazzwhatever
Community Legend

Another well made playlist themed around a music instrument! What i like about the post is the background info about the instrument. Very informative!

My Spotify Profile: Jazzwhatever

FunkishAudio
Roadie

I'm glad you dig it! There's nothing quite like the cuica, so it's cool to learn what it's all about, like in the videos with Osvaldinho da Cuica.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @FunkishAudio congrats, we've picked your playlist to be featured on the Music Chat homepage under 'Favorite Playlists' this week. Keep up the great curating.

Screen Shot 2016-08-01 at 11.26.40 AM.png

FunkishAudio
Roadie

Awesome, thanks!

I made this post too, with a few more Brazilian music playlists: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Playlist-Exchange/Get-more-Brazilian-music-playlists-Celebrate-2016...

I recommend checking them out to get ready for the Rio Olympics ;)

SUGGESTED POSTS