How To Make A Good Playlist

EthanMKLewis
Gig Goer

by EthanMKLewis

So, you want to make a good playlist for the community, good! All genres are just waiting to have playlists made for their fanbase.

Below is a guide to making a successful playlist!

1. Title
So you want to get started on your playlist, first thing you’ve got to consider is; who wants to listen to this? The better suited you can tailor the music, the better! Think of a short snappy title, set a tone and make sure your songs inside stick to it!

Bad Example:  rap playlist

Good Example: Rap Relaxation

2. Content

Next is the actual content of your playlist, a good playlist should be 40+ songs or at least 2 hours long, there’s no maximum though! Make sure the songs in your playlist all fit the title of the playlist.

Good Example:                                       Bad Example:

good playlist.jpg          bad playlist.jpg

Although the order of songs doesn’t always matter, try to grab passers-by attention straight the way by making sure the first 10 songs are straight bangers, nobody will be interested in a rap playlist that starts with 10 straight songs of Jess Glynn. Also, try to make sure you don’t have duplicate songs, too many of the same album, or too many of one artist, mix it up! Everybody can do that! People look for playlists because they’re meant to be hand picked by someone for them.

Try to expand on your playlist frequently, keep it fresh, use Spotifys Recommended Songs if your stuck.

RS.jpg

Try to avoid being biased on which songs you don’t like, for example, if you’re not a fan of Tupac but want a successful Hip Hop playlist, guess who you’re going to need a lot of…

giphy.gif

3. Appearance

Here’s where your design skills come into the mix, nobody ever wants a playlist with the standard first 4 album covers as the first impression, 90% of them wont even be clicked on- despite the quality of the playlist’s content.

IMAGE.jpg

Download Paint/Paint.net and start a new page, make the height and width both 1920 pixels to have a nice big square to work with. Keep it simple, find a clear image of someone in the playlist and add the title next to them in any font you deem fitting- its as simple as that!

Note: Spotify will only accept .jpeg as the format

Advertise your playlists on the community boards! Start a new topic, write a quick overview on why people should be listening to your playlist. You can find it here: https://community.spotify.com/t5/forums/postpage/board-id/spotifymusicdiscussion

Hope this helps! I’m happy to help with any questions below :smiling_face_with_smiling_eyes:

6 Replies

Re: How To Make A Good Playlist

Rock Star 16
Rock Star 16

It's a good guide @EthanMKLewis :)

Also, refrain from using the Spotify logo on your playlist covers. Listeners might confuse your playlists with the official ones and it's also not permitted, really (see Intellectual Property and Privacy). :)

SebastyRock Star 16
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

EthanMKLewis
Gig Goer
Thank You @Sebasty,

Also a very good point! This is why I always use my own stamp on all my covers, you can see it in the cover above.

Rock Star 16
Rock Star 16

True @EthanMKLewis. Your cover pics are a good example on well-made playlist cover pictures.

I've seen many users using Spotify logos on cover pictures.

The pictures are meant for personalisation and it's already pretty clear what platform we are accessing these playlists on. ;)

SebastyRock Star 16
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

EthanMKLewis
Gig Goer

Exactly, Its much better to establish a link between your playlists using a single stamp on them all like I do, another way of doing it would be making all your covers have the same style like I do sometimes too like these:  
AM.jpgBIG.jpgDP.jpgRK.jpg

jsannn
Community Legend

Great guide @EthanMKLewis

My tip - For making playlist covers instead of Paint, you can use some online editor targeted at social media posts, banners etc. I use Adobe Spark which is free and helps a lot. It has integrated search for free to use images (creative commons license) and easy tools for adding text and styling. There are other alternatives of course.

Highlighted

EthanMKLewis
Gig Goer

Thanks Jsannn!

Yes there are many tools available, I personally find Paint.net the easiest to use, Paint, Photoshop, Spark, Affinity, pixlr are all useful tools, its all down to which we personally find easiest :)

SUGGESTED POSTS