Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How to get playlist followers on Spotify

How to get playlist followers on Spotify

Many Spotify users have come to the Community asking how to get more Spotify followers--both on your profile and your playlists. 

We've gone to some of our top users in the Community and asked them how they became successful curators. Below is a summary of their top tips. 

1. Be Original

When you have a new idea for a playlist, have a quick search on Spotify to see if it has already been covered. A great way to find good topics is to be reactive--everything in the news can be an inspiration for a playlist. 

"Target a 'niche' rather than 'mainstrea'" topic," said Gerard (aka @Soundofus). "It will make you different from the masses."

Once you've found a unique theme, collect a list of around 100 to 200 songs with a max of two songs by the same artist. Keep in mind it takes some time to craft a strong playlist around a good theme. Carlos (aka @Sanik007) said his mood playlists tend to gain the most followers.

"[Mood playlists] are an incredible chance to do something different than the others, so another chance to be original. In my case, I have a lot of mood playlists. One of the reasons why they have a great number of followers is the fact that I mix genres, styles, music decades. I completely agree with curating short playlists with no more than one song by an artist. Great curators always meet this standard."

2. Have A Strong Title

The playlist title has to match the theme or mood of your playlist. Titles to avoid are generic ones such as "The Best Playlist ever...", "The Greatest X", "The Best Party..."

These titles say nothing about the music the listener will find when they hit play. It's better to be more specific such as "Indie Folk Sunday Morning", "Rock Inspired By Metallica", "Throwback 90s Party".

"I love titles" Spotify playlist curator Sophia told the team "A great title will can bring people to your playlist. And if the music is good they'll stay!"

3. Update Your Playlists. 

Update your playlists frequently to keep the music fresh. It's a good idea to include your new additions at the top of the playlist as well. Most curators we spoke to agreed that songs should be added a few at a time--not renewing all songs at once. Of course this depends on the theme. If it's the 'Best Indie tracks of the last 30 days" then renewing them all once a month makes perfect sense.

4. Promote Your Playlists

A great place to promote your curated playlist is the Spotify Community Playlist Exchange. It's best if you include a description for your playlists so users know what theme/ mood inspired you. 

You can also create your own website or blog dedicated to promoting your playlists. Of course you can also promote it across social media channels such as Tumblr, Twitter, or Facebook. And remember, it takes work and time to create a fan base. Don't be discouraged if it's a slow start. 

"Twitter is another good option to promote your playlist," said Carlos. If you include undiscovered bands/artists in your playlists, Twitter could be a great platform to connect with them. They usually appreciate your consideration and maybe they will RT you, so your playlist will arrive also to their followers."

Jonathan (aka @Gidyin) also encourages promoting unknown artists. "I have devised promoting artists with monthly listeners in the region of 0-2000. I have always been a bit of a music hunter and love finding an artist on here that is not very well known. If I find an artist in this bracket I now add them to one of my more popular playlists and move the track near the start. This has two benefits, it raises the awareness of the emerging artist which they love and gives you an opportunity to feature on their discovered on page. Extra exposure is always good.

5. Follow Other Great Playlists

To gain followers you should also be a follower yourself. Seek out new bands, get to know playlists that have lots of followers, and study what it takes to be a curator.

"Constantly follow playlists like yours," said Spotify playlist curator Sean. "Find what's trending."

Have fun. Enjoy the music. Be original. 

181 Replies

hey guys check out the playlist i made, its a very chilled vibed playlist ,perfect to use as a get away! 🙂 

https://open.spotify.com/user/hashtagidk/playlist/4qYHshW9alcIPvPBP1bcmf

Hey folks, we're blocking replies on this thread as many of these posts belong somewhere else in the Community. 

If you want to share your playlist, please post it in the Music Exchange

If you have a Content Question please post in this board

Thanks!

Suggested posts