Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Jazz] Post your Jazz Playlists in here.

[Jazz] Post your Jazz Playlists in here.

Hey guys,

In this thread i wanted to share my jazz playlists with you.

The first time i heard about jazz was in an interview with Radiohead. They mentioned Bitches Brew by Miles Davis as one of their inspirations. I bought the cd in 1997 but was shocked with the music. Its weird rhythms, harmonies (or lack of) and no song structure. I was used listening to alternative rock like Radiohead and Dinosaur Jr.

In 1998 i was going to concerts alot and my curiosity led me to a jam session in a jazz club. There were four people playing, drums, bass, piano and saxophone. It was then i heard and saw the magic of jazz. They were improvising arround a standard theme and they were really enjoying the jam. Creating 'new' music as they were playing. Since that day i understood what jazz was, but it still took me some more years to finally appreciate Bitches Brew by Miles Davis.

If you want to read more about jazz i can recommend this website: http://www.enjoyingjazzmusic.com/

And now for some jazz playlists i have created, enjoy:

1. Funky Jazz 2. Fusion Jazz from Poland 3. Spiritual Jazz / Free Jazz 4. Cool Jazz inspired by Miles Davis 5. Melancholic Jazz

spotify:user:jazzwhat:playlist:61ogLD0tiGrgiMim91ZMZs

spotify:user:jazzwhat:playlist:2KGMj3W1n4aX1lPNsdy2VC

spotify:user:jazzwhat:playlist:0MaKwasYvO7JK3zFWmjxwX

spotify:user:jazzwhat:playlist:3Dxa1053gYeU6fVPw6Gs3k

spotify:user:jazzwhat:playlist:5XI1CbZFFgRAugOshu7Yvo

I hope you find something of your liking here and i'm looking forward to seeing your jazz playlists!

Greets,

Jazzwhatever

My Spotify Profile: Jazzwhatever

304 Replies

Today is International Jazz Day. A playlist of contemporary musicians, not necessarily household names, mostly playing in small combos. To the extent possible, I included artists from around the world. https://open.spotify.com/user/1266404145/playlist/5TTJLgePGCNB90wOUnctBK

It's international Jazz day don't you know, so listen to some here.. Solar to Fusion

close to 200 tracks that were played in a small club no ones ever heard of for a few 100 dancers, for a couple of years, and of course 1000's of more people over the years in a different context.

If you've only got an hour or so to celebrate International Jazz Day, a new bi weekly updated mixtape I've started 

>>> Jazz mixtape, Jazz Fusion, Jazz Funk, Nu Jazz, and lots more

@camilaml I didn't know Amy Winehouse was jazz. Would be nice if you put a little more passion in that list. This one doesn't make sense.

@Shake-a-Hoof Nice mixtape, good selection. I prefer more than 15 songs, but it's a good list to give a quick listen!

@jazzwhatever Amy Winehouse is jazz maybe not the ost obvious form of jazz but definitely still falls under the realm. I added a couple more songs "with passion" from more obvious and classicly jazz artists... Mind checking it out and telling me what u think 🙂 thanks for the feedback

@camilaml Can you make a Jazzy Amy Winehouse inspired playlist then? That would be really interesting to listen to. What i mean is, i like to see original creative jazz playlists. There doesn't have to be any classic jazz in it. But the first list you posted was just 3,4 albums in a list, that's just lazy and not creative.

Offtopic : Amy Winehouse could be jazz, i think it's more soul pop. But that's your view.

This is a great idea! I love Jazz & have a ton of Jazz playlists to share. I'll start with...https://open.spotify.com/user/1249158184/playlist/2t1pvkEeD56uCrwTFYN9wV. It highlights my favorite Jazz Funk from bands active now, with new songs plus plenty from the last several years.

Also, read my blog post http://www.funkish.audio/jazz-resource-guide/ because it has some more Spotify playlists in it, as well as lots of links & videos pointing you to remarkable resources for getting more into joyful Jazz.

yeah that would be quite fun actually. And yeah i understand what u mean its just those albums inspired me to make a jazz playlist os  they were the first to be on it and there quite a few songs from them.

Cheers,

camila 

@FunkishAudio Link you posted not working, do you want to have a look what's wrong 

edit - link on playlist icon works, so no need 

@FunkishAudio Thanks for sharing your list. 14 songs is too few for a good list, so it would be nice if you could add some more. I really liked the first song. Funky fusion with great solo's. Anyway, i will follow your list, i hope you will add some more new jazz funk soon! Also, i liked your blog post. Do you get much or any feedback on it? Bytheway, the 2nd song on your list was a rework of this jazz funk killer, but i guess you knew that 🙂 

spotify:track:0wAnw1x0ntyEVZHmalXdEd

Hey guys,

I created a new jazz playlist today. Actually it was a work in progress for several months like all my playlists. Good things take time 🙂 The list was inspired on the German MPS label. A famous jazz label from the 60s and 70s. I also made a label Spotlight of it here:

spotify:user:jazzwhat:playlist:165zSWmjQdmT42oxWIzzkR

So the new playlist is called Deutsch Jazz 70 : Jazz From Germany 60s 70s. It contains jazz funk, fusion, bop, spiritual and space jazz from germany from the golden era: the 60s and 70s (in my view). I have several other playlists called Sverige 70, Czech & Slovak 70. I try to collect certain genres from the 70s per country. You can check out the other ones on my profile. But here's the jazz playlist:

spotify:user:jazzwhat:playlist:60rb0cBZon1WUBDfmXhlWb

@ Cool, I'm glad you dig the playlist! I like to make them about an hour each. So here is another Jazz Funk playlist with mostly older stuff and some new Jazz cats too... https://open.spotify.com/user/1249158184/playlist/7jp0zQnb9Yadrt7mYHkc68

My blog is pretty new, so no, I don't get much feedback on it. Thanks for being the first to comment!

I'm glad you put this thread together, and pay attention to it 🙂

Vibrajazz. Something I never thought to seek out!

One rule listen from begin to end no skips....thus jazz playlist is about the struggle a strength and beauty of women

https://open.spotify.com/user/hannssolo/playlist/3XmmDpMhtPK3a8tdMypB8u

@hannssolo Thanks for sharing! Good selection of songs. Don;t know why the same song is in there 3 times, maybe as an interlude kind of thing. I don't really understand the theme, "the strength, struggle and beauty of women". It doesn't make sense because all songs are instrumentals, so i guess its meant poetic or as a joke. Or to spark interest from women to follow this list 😛

Anyway, wellmade playlist!

Suggested posts