Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Playlist FAQ - Your Questions Answered

Playlist FAQ - Your Questions Answered

We've noticed quite a few of you have questions about Spotify Playlists scattered around the Community. 

So we've read through your posts and created a Playlist FAQ for you all. Hopefully this will help you find, create, edit and share playlists easier and faster. 

Once you've created your masterpiece, be sure to share it with us here in the Playlist Exchange

How do I make my playlist public on my Spotify profile?

You can make your playlists 'Secret' or 'Public' in just a few clicks. 

Desktop:

1. Right click the playlist.
  2. Select 'Make Public'.

playlists.png

From your phone:

1. Find the playlist

2. Click the three-dot menu button on the right

Screenshot_2015-11-02-13-55-49.png

3. Select 'Make Public'

You can always change the status of the playlist back to 'Secret' at any time.

How do I search for public playlists on Spotify?

If you're looking for another playlist curated by another user, this is also quite easy.

1. Select Search from the main menu in any device.

2. Type in the mood or genre you're looking for e.g. 'Running', 'Indie Rock', 'Roadtrip'.

3. Search results are sorted by "TOP RESULTS", "SONGS", "ARTISTS", "ALBUMS", "PLAYLISTS", PROFILES'.

4. Scroll to "PLAYLISTS". 

Screen Shot 2015-11-02 at 2.02.46 PM.png

5. Click "PLAYLISTS' to see more options.

1.png

Do other people see if I play their playlists?

The creator of a playlist is not notified if you play their playlist. They will only be notified if you Follow the playlist. 

Your Followers can also see the playlist you're l listening in the Friend Feed. To keep this private go to your Desktop App > Preferences > Turn off 'Publish my activity on Spotify'.

How do I edit my playlist cover photo?

You can personalize your playlists on the Spotify Desktop app. Click here for a step-by-step guide

How do I view my playlist/ listening history on Spotify?

This isn't a current feature on Spotify. However there is an idea in the Idea Exchange which can vote for here: "Usable History". We'll post in that thread if there are any updates.  

How do I get more Spotify followers?

The best way to get Spotify followers is to curate great playlists. The top place to share those playlists with our users is in the Spotify Community Playlist Exchange. For some tips on creating successful playlists click here

127 Replies

when will it be possible for us to change the picture of our playlist and add a description?????

Hello @joegg and welcome to the community.

Actually this feature is only for artists accounts, for verified accounts (e.g. Labels, Magazines, Music Websites...) and for Rock Stars in the community.

If your are not in one of the 2 first categories, the best way to get this feature is to help in the community and participate to the Rock Star progrem. 🙂

SoundofusSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Thank you Meredith. I did it. 

Expert

Hi @Meredith

I've been frustrated by the lack of a saved history and I was sad to see the "Usable History" thread you mention in your very helpful Playlist FAQ has been closed. I want to bump it and vote but I can't.

Do you know if there's any movement on this? In any case you might want to amend this in your FAQs...?

No, this isn't currently an option. It's a "Live Idea" now... if you give it kudos... hopefully Spotify will add this idea!!!

View All Playlist Follwers

@hershechick Hi.

Who are you replying to? Me? Or are you replying to a different post?

If you are replying to my post, I wonder if you are missing the point...

Did you try going to the original post in this topic and actually read the part headed "How do I view my playlist/ listening history on Spotify?" and click on the Usable History link?

Are you saying that Usable History is NOT a Closed Case? It is when I go there.

Regardless of all that, I am trying to be helpful by pointing out a link that is now redundant as we can no longer post or vote in it. I don't expect mediators etc. to remember something they posted years ago and every link in detail. That's all the more reason why we can help by pointing out broken or no longer useful links when we find them to keep the whole system as current and healthy as possible.

Should we just keep quiet then complain when something doesn't work or leads to frustration? Or should we try to help if we can?

Hello....I am very new to Spotify and not a technical person at all.   Is it possible for two people to listen to the same playlist on different devices?

I was editing one of my posts to learn how to show a playlist.  I kept getting it wrong and than finally succeeded after many attempts.  Now the message is gone and seems to have been deleted.  Was it because I exceeded the ammount of times I can edit a post?  Why is no record of the topic even under latest post.  I am confused why it vanish without any mention of breaking any board rules.

Follow me

anyone know monkey majik?its a japanese groupband, but the vokalist and gutarist are canadian, the bassist and drumer are japanese, ive been searching their song but couldnt find it ,

so, here is my monkey majik playlist.. hope you all enjoy it

https://open.spotify.com/user/joshuaindra/playlist/2DucVCruXwstu8Y5xkNjYw

Hi, I've got a playlist question. I know that if YOU create a playlist, it can easily be changed to Public or Private, and that through Settings you can make it so each new playlist you create is automatically created as a private playlist. My question is regarding playlists that you are following; that you did not create - is there a way to make those private, either as a setting for all new follows or a way to change the status after the fact so they aren't cluttering up your list of public playlists? -BeeGraceful

Edit: It seems like the only followed playlists that I have this issue with are collaborative ones.

@BeeGraceful

Yes, you can make the playlists you follow public or private.

After following a playlist, just right click in the playlist description and there's an option that says 'Make Secret'.

Right click a non public playlist and the option will say 'Make Public'.

osorniosSpotify Star

Spotify automatically rearranges the order of the (first four) album covers in my playlists despite my custom order. Anyone else having this issue/bug?

@elinsvanold

The way it behaves is to put the cover of the first song in the upper left corner, the next one in the upper right corner, the next one in the lower left coner and finally the fourth in the lower right corner.

If a song is not available, it takes the cover from the next available song.

osorniosSpotify Star

@elinsvanold I believe it will always put the first four albums you put in playlist as the cover art, if you change the first four albums or tracks it will change but not if you have changed in filter, I.e filter as recently added.

@tingeling1 Playlist exchange is the area to post playlist's this thread is for questions . Thanks 

Yes I know, the problem is I put them in a specific order and it looks how it should as I am "inside" the playlist itself, but looking at all my public playlists at my spotify profile, the (first four) album covers switch places with each other for no apparent reason.

Suggested posts