long playlists- good or bad?

long playlists- good or bad?

feeney26
Casual Listener

Long playlists? I'm all for them. They're like listening to the radio without cheesey DJs or adverts in between tracks.

It's good for specific genres, or even music to suit your surroundings. For example my After Dark playlists are easy to listen to- well- after dark of course, or if you don't want anything too heavy playing in the background (and you like your top quality music from the 60s to present day stuff) have a listen.

Best played on Spotify Premium (High Quality), and like all music, the best audio you can afford.

11 Replies

Re: long playlists- good or bad?

Shake-a-Hoof
Roadie
Might want to supply a link to playlist @feeney26

ngcart
Music Fan
Hi Simmy1, et al.
You can find any user's public playlists by typing
spotify:user: username e.g. go to your Spotify player and type "spotify:user:feeney26"

Rock Star 18
Rock Star 18

Hello @feeney26 and welcome to the community,

Very long "playlists" are more songs library than really "playlist" but they can be good if you use it in shuffle mode as a radio. It just needs to be careful that a same artist/band doesn't come back more than once an hour. It's good also that a long playlist contains various genres.

However for a themed playlist, it's more appropriate to limit it to 50 or 100 songs, following some simple rules :

- 20 to 50 songs : a same artist has to appear only once. (Exception : A playlist to pay tribute to a single artist)

- 51 to 100 songs : a same artist has to appear not more than twice and with songs not in a row.

SoundofusRock Star 18
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

feeney26
Casual Listener
Point taken about repeated artists within 20 tracks etc. but I'm not really bothered about after having followers. After all 'one man's food is another man's poison'. The point I'm trying to make is that it's just a good thing to have your own lengthy choice of music (to suit your mood at the time) constantly playing until you feel the need to listen to anything different. As mentioned, it's your own radio where you pick the tracks. ..all the best, happy 2016. John

TokeyBear
Roadie

I try to stick to no more than 100 tracks and keep updatig them, but that's more for the people following the list. If it's a personal list it doesn't really matter. 

Rock Star 18
Rock Star 18

@TokeyBear @feeney26

I agree, if a "playlist" is only for a personal use, you can do what you want. It's different and needs some rules only if you want make it public and try to attract other users to follow your work 🙂

SoundofusRock Star 18

cityveinlights

Here is my playlist. It is more of an Indie Electronic/Indie Rock playlist filled with various types of artists (well-known and also independent). Come check it out! I usually update it quite regularly to keep up to date on what's current in the music industry as well as give underplayed artists some streams!

Check out C H III /\ X here.

Rock Star 1
Rock Star 1

I think it depends when you started making mix's. The Mix tape used to have a max of 60 mins so you were forced to limit yourself to what you could fit, roughly 14 songs, give or take the length of tracks. The CD allowed for 80 minutes and you could fit 18-20 tracks. Now you can just create a playlist and keep adding tracks that you just hit play at the begining of the day. Those like me, who have been doing this since the mixtape tend to enjoy shorter mix's. I find those who started in the spotify era, generally,  tend to go for the longer playlists. 

JESquareRock Star 1

FerdinandoLM
Music Fan
I try to differentiate the length of a playlist by its use. For example: i want a chill playlist to play when i've guests at home: long play list all the way. Buf i prefer small playlist if i've to organize tracks by a very special genre (eg: some sort of electronic music, a movie, an event). I'm recently trying collaborative playlists, at the moment they're really small (because my friends are not really into that), but i know how potentially long they may become.
SUGGESTED POSTS