The Fearless community page is finally here!
We are super excited to announce our US Podcasts Editorial collaboration between Play Your Part and The Roster! This new exciting podcast community page focuses on the intersection between sports and social justice, with this installment speaking to gender inequality within sports.
Did you know:
- Statistics claim that 40% of all sports participants are women, yet women’s sports receive only around 4% of all sports media coverage. (Source)
- Two in three fans approve of how athletes use their platform to protest racial injustice:
- 72% Have positive reactions towards athletes calling for gender equality / equal pay.
- 70% Have positive reactions towards athletes advocating for the LGBTQ+ community.
- 65% Have positive reactions towards athletes advocating for racial equality. (Source)
- Whether professional players receive salaries or individual prize money from competitions, male athletes in basketball, golf, soccer, baseball and tennis make anywhere from 15% to nearly 100% more than female athletes. (Source)
Ayo Oti (Lead Editor of Play Your Part) and Deondric Royster (Lead Editor of The Roster) envision a joint community where both the social justice and sports communities can share story of true advocacy, awareness, and opportunities to mobilize solutions to overturn these social inequalities!
The Fearless podcast community page features two guest curations from Dr. Amira Rose Davis (American Prodigies podcast) and Jess McDonald (USWNT), entitled
Hear US Now: Black Women In Sports and When We Value Women!
Each featured playlist includes podcast episodes and creator that speak to stories of women athletes who have endured and succeeded through sexism, gender inequality, and more while breaking barriers in their respective sports!
Please enjoy this incredible article from Spotify's For The Record which thoroughly details the making of The Fearless, some notes from the creating editors, and exclusive interviews with the amazing guest curators featured!