NEXT STEP

Can't Join Family Plan

Can't Join Family Plan

Plan

Family Premium

Country

US

My Question or Issue

My wife and I want to switch ownership of our Family Plan.  Here's what we did. She canceled her family plan. She's told her premium membership ends at the end of May. I then upgraded my personal premium account to a Family Premium, which seems to have taken effect immediately. 

I then sent her a link to join my new Family Plan.  She receives the link. Our address appears in the search bar. Then, she gets an error message asking her to try again.

I've searched through these forums for an hour now.  I've tried logging everyone out. I've tried using incognito mode to open the invite link.  I've tried multiple devices. I've logged out of the apps. I've cleared the caches in the apps and the devices.  Nothing works. 

Does she have to wait until the end of the month for her to be able to join my Family Plan?  If so, am I still going to be billed $14.99 for an entire month even though I can't add her??

Follow me
3 Replies

Hi there @Tjsh315,

thanks for reaching out !

The reason this process is failing is due to the fact you wife is still on the Premium Family plan till the end of the current month (all actions are still active e.g invitations).

As she was the owner, the minute she canceled her Premium Family subscription, your account (as the invited member) reverted back to the type of subscription you had before accepting the invite leaving you free to upgrade with no problem.

You can find all info on the Premium Family plan here and about refund eligibility here.

Hope this shed some light.

Let me know if you have any further questions 🙂

I'm having a similar issue, but it's a bit more basic. I sent the link to join our family plan to my daughter in the same household. When she tries to verify the address, it says she's in a different country. We live in Japan and use the same VPN. I can switch to our local connection on both devices, her's and mine, and it still gives the same error that she must be in the same country. I've switched her profile to be the same as mine- USA, which is also the same as the billing address on the account. Everything is aligned, including the home address, but the error still comes up. Thanks for any insight.

Looks like I fixed it. I resent a new link to join the family plan, and it worked. Seems like there needs to be a fix to make this a bit more seamless. 

Suggested posts