Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can't Use 2 Devices Simultaneously??

Solved!

Can't Use 2 Devices Simultaneously??

Hello,

I recently upgraded to Premium so I could share Spotify with my mom. But if I'm listening to mine, she can't listen to hers, and vice versa. She was at work listening to her playlist, and I was at home searching songs, but I could HEAR what SHE was listerning to. Can't they be separate like Netflix? Isn't there a way for her to listen to her stuff and me to listen to my stuff simultaneously without it crossing over like that? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

32 Replies

Nope! (*NOT* solved!) My wife and I experience the same conflict -- playing over eachothers' music -- even after upgrading and with each of us logged into our separate Premium accounts! This conflict was dramatically demonstrated at different times last week: my wife abruptly interrupted my morning commute podcast (dangerous enough driving through a blizzard!) when she repeatedly attempted to play her morning wake-up mix. Late at night, I woke up our colicky infant from his white noise slumber with a true crime podcast that suddenly began playing on his nursery speaker! Please resolve this bizarre and clearly profit-driven software glitch!!

Maxim - we have the same issue and have separate accounts (under a family plan). Simultaneous playback is fine if using separate bluetooth speakers but the moment Alexa is used we can't play (on any device) at the same time. Infuriating and seems to be no solution. Please please please sort Spotify

As has been noted, the single device per user policy makes Spotify mostly useless with a shared device such as Google Home, Alexa or Android TV.  You can't expect different users to login to the device each time they want to play music. If we are listening to music on Android TV and the account holder leaves, it's not conveniont for someone else to have to login to listen to music. Having a remotely complex password makes that too frustrating to deal with. If I have a family plan, I should be able to play on at least 2 devices. Having my personal song preferences isn't as important as this basic functionality.

Could not agree more. This perfectly sums up the utterly useless approach Spotify has adopted with regards to smart speakers. For a company who led the move to streaming it is amazing they have not embraced the move towards such devices. Their approach is simply ignoring what their customers want and need. Come on Spotify..... you have a family membership that in no way represents what families need!!! We just want any family to walk up to any speaker in the house and play music and not get bounced off because because mum had started listening to something else in the lounge. One at a time.... really... how does this possibly make sense.... ridiculous 🤬

It's embarrassing that I pay for a family account and because I have too many children my wife can't actively do chores in another room and listen to my playlist with me. Cheap ass Spotify can't figure out how to share music over a network so we have to suffer. Considering a cheaper option at this point.

Please stop suggesting Amazon Household. I have a Spotify Premium plan.  Within that, my daughter has her account, my son has his account.  The each have an Amazon Echo in their room.  When my son or daughter request a song on their respective devices, I don't want it interrupting my podcast when I'm at work, or out on a walk.  Why is this so complicated?

So I have a family premium account (this includes 2 kids accounts) and we are unable to play simultaneously either. When we play music it comes from my Spotify account still and I’ve logged out reloaded my Spotify to see if this would fix the problem but it hasn’t. Only one person can play music at a time. We have 2 google mini nests and 3 google wifi nests in our house. Any advice would be very appreciated. Regards 

Hi please can you help? Myself and husband are logged into our own separate accounts yet it keeps kicking us off when trying to play our music separately but at the same time

Hi, I'm having the same issue here: premium family plan, 2 account members, each having its own account logged in to, using separate phones and playlists, each time one of us play's spotify - other member music stops. Logged in/out each member/account. Deleted apps and reloaded them, latest update is on, made restart to each phone (iphone 12). Still no help and can't listen separately. Monthly payments but not possible to use service correctly!!! Please advise how to solve the issue ASAP. Thanks.

Hey @MarxR,

Thanks for the post.

We'd recommend you both Log out Everywhere, as described here. After that log in on each phone with the seperate account (seperate email address).

Let us know if that helps.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Nope doesn’t really help. We have 4 smart speakers in the house. What email account do you suggest we use on each of these. It is often that maybe my wife will want to listen to her music in the bedroom and I want to listen to something else in the kitchen or lounge. We certainly wouldn’t want to keep logging on and off a speaker with a different email address every time we jump from one room to another.

For the phones, if did use our own email accounts, which I think we do anyway, can each family member all listen to our own playlists, online, at the same time?

This is funny as I’ve been trying to resolve this for some time now and NO ONE can come up with a solution……

I am currently able to use the one Spotify account on multiple devices at the same time! Yes music playing all at the same time and no not using Offline Mode!  How is this possible and how can I resolve the issue??? 

Funny funny funny…..  I have one account and can play music all at the same time on multiple devices! No one will help resolve.  I do not want family premium, I want to be able to see what my partner is playing and when he is playing music. I don’t want to listen to it.  I want it to say the app is being used like it used to!!

Suggested posts