Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can't cancel family premium

Can't cancel family premium

Trying to cancel Family Premium (as non-owner of the plan) so I can resubscribe to regular Premium. Go through my account, cancel family Premium and the screen says "You've canceled Premium. Your subscription will end on 4/9/19."  However, I haven't received any confirmation email and I still have the option to cancel Premium on my account.  I've tried cancelling multiple times, it always says "You've canceled Premium" but nothing on my account changes. 

7 Replies

Hey @GabbyJ, and welcome to the community.

Hope you're doing great! 

Could you try canceling using a different browser or email address? Also, make sure that you're logged out, then sign back in to see if that helps. If you're not sure how to cancel, check out these steps.

Let me know how this goes 🙂 

Billy-JSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I figured it out. Turns out only the owner of the family account can cancel my premium. Seems weird that I could go through the whole process of cancelling without actually being able to cancel. 

Hey @GabbyJ.

Thanks for the reply! To confirm, do you still need help with this? Did the owner remove you from their plan as you requested?

Keep me posted 🙂 

Billy-JSpotify Star
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Uh why won't Spotify give the simple feature to remove myself from a Family plan (that I don't manage) so that I can subscribe my own Premium, or even manage a Duo or Family account of my own? This should be a pretty dead simple option!

Hey @Arundas,

Family members can leave a Family plan any time. Just follow the steps from this support Article.

Hope this helps. Don't hesitate to reach out again if you have questions.

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Thank you @Alex you're right! I logged in to my account, clicked CANCEL PREMIUM, and that did it! I left the Family. Thank you for allowing this. (It seems from this thread that it wasn't possible a few years ago.)

Now all I got to do is subscribe to Premium/Duo/Family of my own.

I only wish the process had more options instead of the cancel-resubscribe route. Like, switch to your own Premium, manage your own Duo / Family, etc.

BTW, note that if you cancel premium to get out of a Family membership, you will NOT get any remaining days on Premium. It will immediately switch to Free (while other Family members remain on Premium). This makes sense since you didn't pay for the Family Premium - the family account manager did.

PRO TIP: Switch your Spotify app to Offline Mode, and if possible also use your phone settings to block its network access before you cancel premium to get out of a family. This way any changes in your download cache is prevented (I have over 5 GB of downloaded music, it would suck real bad if it suddenly got deleted!). Once you subscribe again to your own Premium and it's confirmed, you can allow your Spotify app to go online again.

Hey there @Arundas,

Thanks for getting back to us.

Glad to hear that you were able to leave the plan. 

The reason for having to cancel a subscription and start a new one to switch plans is because, a subscription is a form of contract, so every user has to cancel the existing contract before they can sign a new one.

You can choose a new Premium plan from your Account page, or by following the steps here.

We're a click away if you have questions.

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts