Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can't create an account for a 14 year old

Can't create an account for a 14 year old

Family Premium. USA.

Trying to add my 14 year old son to our Family Premium plan under a regular account (not a kids account - I'm reading he's eligible after age 13 with parent authorization).

I create an invitation link. He can't use it unless he has an account. When he tries to sign up, he can't. It says he's not old enough. 

How am I supposed to do this?

13 Replies

Hey there @epcc

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community. 

You're right, in order to accept your invitation, your son needs to have an account on Spotify. Just to make sure, have you tried creating one directly from here?

If so and it didn't work, would you mind trying again on a different device and using an incognito window? It's also worth trying with a different internet connection.

Keep us posted on how it goes.

EniModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Well this is a frustrating response. Yes. have tried to make an account from that exact location. It refuses to accept my son's birthday because it appears that although you can HAVE an account after your 13th birthday you can't MAKE an account until you are 18!

Hi @epcc,

Edit: Thanks for pointing this out, and sorry for the confusion. See the response from @Jeremy for more info.

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

@Alex
Are you sure I can do that? I've never heard of an account where you can update the DOB. Is this really the spotify recommended solution?

Hi there @epcc,

Sorry about that. We've edited the previous message to avoid confusion.

Can you provide us a screenshot of what you can see? Just make sure to remove any personal details in the screenshot such as the date of birth.

We'll keep an eye out for your reply 🙂

Take care!

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Hi  @Jeremy
I am having the same issue. What is the solution, please?!
Thanks!
James

Hey @jamesmbHR,

Thanks for reaching out in the Community!

Can you give me a bit more info about your exact situation? I'll do my best to help and clear things up 🙂

Cheers.

AlexModerator

Hi.

We live in Germany and have a family account. 

My son is 13 years old and still has a spotify kids account. Spotify kids is for children under 12! He is to young for a normal account. To include him in our family account, I can send him a link leading to a form, where we have to enter his birthday. The process ends here, because he is to young.

There should be a offer for children like my son as part of the family account. What can I do?

Cheers

Hey @olheem,

Thanks for the post.

We're always updating our systems to follow​ local legal requirements, unfortunately we can't accept anyone under 16 in Germany at the moment. Additionally, in order to use the Spotify Service and access any Content, you represent that: any registration and account information that you submit to Spotify is true, accurate, and complete, and you agree to keep it that way at all times.

So for the time being, your children have to use the Kids app.

Hope this clears things up. Don't hesitate to reach out again if you have questions.

AlexModerator

Hey Alex!

You can configure the kids app for children from 0 to 6 or for children from 5 to 12. But there is no teens apps or the possibility to configure the kids app for children from 13 to 15. Please close this gap!

Explicit content shouldn‘t be available of course. In my view it isn‘t necessary that they can create or share playlists. But hearing music, which is played in the radio, shouldn‘t be a problem.

Yours sincerely

Oliver.

Hi @olheem,

Thanks for bringing your feedback to the Community. 

Since it's mandatory to follow the local legal requirements, it's not possible to accept a user whose age doesn't comply with said requirements. When signing up, the user agrees that the account information submitted to Spotify is true. For this reason, said user would need to use Spotify Kids unless they comply with the minimum age (established by every country).

We hope this clears things up! 

NovyModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

Hello, i have the same problem from France. What is the legal age to get Spotify here ? It is very difficult to get this information. My son just turned 13 and he cannot register because it says that he is too young?!

Hey @Fl4v,

Thanks for your reply.

We accept everyone under 13 years old in France at the moment. You can read all about it here. That being said, we'd suggest creating your son's account directly from here.

On another note, if the above doesn't do the trick, would you mind trying again on a different device and using an incognito window? It's also worth trying with a different internet connection.

Keep us in the loop!

AlejaRModerator

Suggested posts