Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

College Student and family plan

Solved!

College Student and family plan

I want to sign up for the family plan but I have a child (still a dependent) away at college. Can I include her on the family plan since she resides with me for part of the year when she is not at college?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @wolfenl,

Yes, that's correct!

Let me know if you have any more questions 🙂

Billy-JSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

10 Replies

Hey @wolfenl, thanks for reaching out to the Community!

In this case, it's best to add her to your Premium for Family plan when she is at the same address as you (since everyone on the plan needs to reside at the same physical address)

Once she gets added to your plan - she'll be good to go! There is some more info on Premium for Family here.

I hope this helps. I'll be right here if you have any more questions 🙂

Billy-JSpotify Star

So does she just need to activate when she is home for the summer and then when she leaves out of town for the semester she can still use the Family plan?

Marked as solution

Hey @wolfenl,

Yes, that's correct!

Let me know if you have any more questions 🙂

Billy-JSpotify Star

Hi Billy-J,

Spotify tweaked their location requirements for family plans last Sept.

Do you know if this changes the option of having college students on a Premium Family Plan?

I have daughters with Student Plans, but would like to add them to a Premium Family Plan to save money, but am concerned about them having to confirm their location throughout the year. My kids are currently at home, but that will hopefully change come the fall.

Also,  if they join the Family Plan, can they then cancel their Student Plan without penalty?

Thanks for your help.

Hey there @Spatty!

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the Community!

We did some changes to the way you could verity your address for the Family plan but we still have the requirement that all members of the Family plan need to live at the same address.

You can add them to your Family plan while they are at home but when they leave they might be asked to confirm their location. Take a look here for more info.

To answer you last question, there aren't any extra charges if your daughters cancel their current subscriptions.

Spotify charges you in advance for the Premium time you'll be using, so if you decide to cancel, you can do so without having to pay anything more.

Hope this info helps. Give us a shout if you have any other questions.

ElenaModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

hi

just so i get this right (and i may be a bit think here) , if i have 4 family members on a family premium account and one goes to uni which is a term address and they come home (their permanent address) after that between terms, then they are ok to stay on the family premium account?  I understand that when they finish uni, get a job and move out, then they are on their own (which is fine for me as I have paid enough for them!!)

I suppose it gets more complex when a student does a years work placement as part of a degree for example?

many thanks

Hey there @BigBadGordy,

Thanks for reaching out about this.

You've got it right. As long as they come home (to the address registered in the Family Plan) often enough they should have no problem living at another address during school terms and using their Premium features.

Hope you find this info useful. Don't hesitate to give us a shout if you have more questions 🙂

Have a great day!

AlexModerator

many thanks

i suppose often enough is a phrase up for debate but i'll keep them on the plan

cheers and keep safe all

Hmm, that sounds unfair for my case and all devorced parents (and we know we devorced represent a large part of population) - my 17 old daufghter lives in another city and according all you said - I can not make account for her and me other then two separate account. Unfair, no doubt.

Hey @AlexZG,

Thanks for your post.

The family plan is intended for users who live under the same roof. This geographical restriction might seem unfair in some cases, however it prevents users from abusing the reduced price plan.

Hope this info helps. 

AlexModerator

Suggested posts