Plan

Premium Family 

Country

England

Device

Plan Owner: Samsung Galaxy S21 

Kid phone: iPhone 6

Hi, 

My 11 year old daughter is set up on a Spotify Kids account as part of our Premium Family account.  We obviously don't want her to have access to ALL explicit material (podcasts etc) but don't mind her having access to some songs that we deem suitable even though Spotify has marked them as explicit.

I was under the impression that if I shared a playlist with her using the grown up gear icon in her app that all of the music I shared (explicit or not) would be available to her - as per attached screenshot.

Unfortunately this doesn't seem to be working, and every time she clicks on an explicit song it doesn't play, but all the non- explicit songs do play, without exception. 

I have deleted apps on both phones and reinstalled. I have set up new playlists and that hasn't worked either. 

Can anyone suggest anything else? Or am I reading the attached wrong and these songs shouldn't be playing...

Thanks

Danny

Screenshot_20210928-172105_Chrome.jpg
15 Replies

Hey @DEEBS01,

Thanks for posting here 🙂

Could you check if you have the option to toggle the explicit content on? You can find that option when you go to your account page and open the kids account under Manage Family.

Let us know how it goes.

Ver Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi, thanks for your reply.

No - I don't have the option to toggle explicit content on under her account.

Hey @DEEBS01,

Thanks for keeping us posted 🙂

We've passed your info on to the right team so we can look into this further.

We'll keep you posted as soon as we have news.

The Community is here for you if there's anything else!

Ver Moderator

Great - thankyou

Hey @DEEBS01,

We just wanted to let you know that the right folks are still looking into this.

We're not able to provide an exact timeline for a fix, but we'd recommend always keeping your Spotify app up to date to ensure you're on the latest version.

Cheers!

NovyModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

As a family account owner I want to be able to override the explicit tag on a given song my kids like so they can listen to it (their accounts are setup to not have access to explicit content). I would override the explicit tag when the given song is fine by my standards but tagged explicit by Spotify.

In my case the song in question is "Cascada - Everytime we touch" which has the (harmless IMHO) lyric 'kiss'. This feature would be useful for other users and for other songs I'm sure. If introduced, the explicit filter wouldn't be a one-size fits all setting but rather would allow families to use the explicit tags as a baseline but override these at their discretion for a better experience.

Did this ever get solved?  I still have this problem in 2022.

Hi, no - this never got solved 😞 

I do have this problem as well and just looked at the threads here but it seems that it is still unsolved in 2024 !! 

I have the exact same problem while following step by step the instructions mentioned on the Premium Family page but precisely, all songs that are tagged "E" in the adult add never appear in the kids app, even if they are on a playlist that the Adult approved to be transferred. Hence what you describe as a solution (and merely reproduces what is stated on the spotify page) DOES NOT work, at least on my end. 

It is even so surprising because the Spotify page expressly mentions that once a playlist is approved by the adult to be transferred, the kid will be able to read the content of the playlist including the "E" tagged songs that are included in the playlist.

I have noted: 

1) for playlists that contain both "E" and "non-E" content, all the non-E content is available and the "E" does not appear, as if it does not exist in the initial playlist 

2) for playlists that only contain "E" content, an error message mentioning "Oops this content is not available for now" [free translation from the French version of the app]  

Can any one please help me in solving this? 

Hey there folks,

Thanks for reaching out in this thread!

Could you let us know if you're still experiencing issues with this? Make sure to check so that the app is updated as well. You can find the steps on how to update the app here.

We'll keep an eye out for your replies.

MariaModerator

Hello Maria, thank you for your reply. 

To provide other contextual elements that may be useful for you and for others, here is a more detailed description of my problem: 

- I live in France and have a Duo Account for my wife and I that we use on recent iPhones. I also have an old Iphone 4 I was using for playing music and wanted to download Spotify or Spotify Kids on it to give it to my 8y old kid but I realised Spotify did not support anymore the app on those devices since end of 2023! It was frustrating when I looked on blogs and saw many other users were using it on such devices for the same purpose and were suddently prevented from continuing to use it while they expended their subscription for having such multiple accounts.

- I then looked at how Spotify Kids worked (notably allowing parents to authorize any kind of content through the approved playlists) and decided to buy that kind of MP3-MP4 player that runs on Google and are described as well adapted for kids.

- I then upgraded my duo account to family account, created the kids profile on the device and started to share playlist but the E content would never appear on the kids device. 

- I looked on this community and elsewhere and did not find any solution. I tried of course to check if there was any update of the Spotify kid app on the kids device but everything was up to date. When I looked on the Google Play store, there were comments from other users experiencing the same problem and said that this problem appeared in Feb 24 (those were also users in France)    

I checked again yesterday and for an unknown reason, all the playlists on the kids device now have the E content that is on the shared playlists. 

So it seems that my problem is solved even though there is nothing I have done or not. Do you know if there was something that bugged on Spotify side (as other users mentionned on the app store) and that were fixed in the past days? 

Thanks anyway

Hey @hugo2d,

Thank you for keeping in contact.

We're glad to know that everything is working fine now. Spotify is constantly updating the app to fix known issues. It's possible that one of those updates has done the trick here. We appreciate the time you took sharing its resolution.

In case you need anything else, remember that the Community is just a post away.

Cheers!

OscarDCModerator

Dear Oscar,

It seems that the Spotify Kids app is really unstable. 

I am no longer able to share playlists with my child. 

When I log on his app on his device to authorize playlists and when I type my 4 digit passcode to switch to the "adult" section, the app is frozen and nothing happens when I try to click on the various buttons. 

it worked well two weeks ago. 

Any other users having the same problem? Can you please fix this? 

Of course, I rebooted several times the device and checked if there is any update of the app to download (there was none).

Thank you,

I hope one day I will not have to spend as much time to fix problems and be able to simply use the app with my son. 

Thanks for the response @hugo2d!

It sounds like there may be some corrupted cache which can cause different issues with the app's performance and in this case a clean reinstall should help with Spotify's behavior. You can follow the steps here in order to perform one.

We recommend reinstalling both the Kids app and the Spotify app on the devices. 

Hope this helps and we're here if you need us 🙂

IvelinaModerator

Suggested posts