Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAMILY AND ECHO ALEXA

Solved!

FAMILY AND ECHO ALEXA

Plan

Family

Country

UK

My Question or Issue

I pay £14.99/month for family subscription. I have 2 Alexas and an Echo Dot. I can't wok out how to have spotify running on each Alexa device, but different music on each through Spotify. We can only seem to access Spotify on one device at a time. Please can soebody advise if we can do this and if so, how. I don't want to play the same music as my sons!

77 Replies

Amazon works well because their family plan is just 6 streams at the same time. Different accounts not required. Their music catalogue is smaller, takes longer to receive new music and doesn't categorize the music as well but if Spotify doesn't work at all we don't really have a choice. 

We actually tried making amazon accounts for both the kids but Alexa will only allow 2 accounts in a "household." thereby making it impossible to link all the echo devices together. We use our devices as an intercom system within the house and that's not possible if you're not in the same household. 

The simplest fix would be for spotify to just allow 6 streams on their family plan rather than insisting everyone have their own account and profile. I want to move back to spotify but we won't until this huge issue is fixed.

This is not an acceptable or a workable solution. You guys should be embarrassed. How is it possible that your “engineers” cannot figure out an acceptable solution when Apple has figured it out. Stop being lazy and start listening to your subscribers. I downgraded my Spotify account to the free version today, after being a premium member since 2015. I left your service for Amazon Music Unlimited - which is fully compatible with my smart home. I also sold my investment in your stock after finding out how ridiculously bad your smart home compatibility is regarding the family plan. Good luck not loosing more customers.

Hi guys

I keep getting emails from other like minded people about this issue and spotify seemed to be doing zero.

So enough of this inaction, I've just spent the last hour on chat with Spotify trying to get a straight answer...yeah i know what you're thinking

The best thing the guy came up with was to go the suggestions area, and raise an idea. When it gets over a hundred votes they will look more closely 

I've put up the issue and you can get to it with this link, please vote it up, this issue is driving me nuts!

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Idea-Submissions/All-Platforms-Other-Swap-Spotify-accounts-without-...

Cheers

Trev

Thanks I’ve voted on it.

FYI you can create a household so both you and your wife’s Amazon accounts are linked, once you’ve done this you can control your lights, heating (whatever you have set up) on either account.  So in your case you could have your wife using her account on a device playing her music meanwhile you could be using your account on another device also playing music - you would also need Spotify family and have both of your Amazon accounts linked to each of your Spotify accounts (within the family Spotify account).

The issue I have is I now have 5 echo devices around the house and 4 people.  2 of those are my kids who can’t have Amazon accounts within the household so we can’t do what I’ve described above.  If they were adults (and no I’m not interested in making full adult Amazon accounts for them) I think it would work as I described above.

just seems really annoying that they market the echo devices for family setups but Amazon haven’t thought through how families would actually use them and Spotify are asleep at the wheel...

I have voted on it

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but I just set up a new Echo Show 8 with my own Amazon account - which is under the Amazon Household - and while Spotify works correctly, I can't control any other smart home devices. 

I've voted on this. If they can't fix this then I'm jumping ship. £14.99 a month for a family account that can't actually be used on modern smart speakers by an actual family. Dreadful.

I mean even if you do it the proper way how Amazon and Spotify wants it, it doesnt really work. I tested it today with two amazon accounts where each one has a their own spotify account . When you switch the household profile with Alexa it switches without problems. It will recognize the change and pick the stuff form the correct Spotify Account (playlist etc). The problem is the playback isnt working anymore. The personal list gets picked and the playback will be stuck at 0:01. It will only work again if you manual start playing on the echo from the spotify app. After that it works normal again. If you switch back to the other housould profil you can access your spotify again but to hear music you need to manual start the playback with the app otherwise alexa wont play. 

So yeah, Spotify was the best in the early days, imo still the best in terms of music catalogue, but the whole integration within the smart home stuff is way behind their competitors. 

I’ve voted on this as well! Such a great and simple idea (allow multiple people to cast/play music on one device) it’s worked easily on all my google home devices... but frustratingly not with my new echo show.

Is there not a way to link the Spotify account to a profile on Alexa?

This needs un-resolving as it's not fixed.
it's the complete opposite of fixed.
2 years since this was opened and there's still no way to have a family account work with young kids even though you promote the kids app.
My kids are too young for mobiles but they don't want to listen to my music (and I don't want them listening to it )
I can't have them have an Amazon account. If they did I may as well switch to Amazon Music

How is this marked as solved? - This is SO unacceptable! 
We have a house with echo devices in almost every room, used for controlling heating, lighting and also for music playback with spotify.

When I ride my bike to work, or do anything playing back spotify on the go on my mobile phone and a member of the household wants to play something different from the echo dots within the house, playback just stops.

Also the "pollution" of my spotify account is rendering a lot of useful functions useless, like "most played songs".
I sit in the car playing a "your chosen songs" playlist and all of the sudden listen to paw patrol, or childrens songs. 

Spotify, please get this sorted! 180€ / Year is inacceptable for a half-working solution.

Edit: Maybe it would be wise to spread awareness of this flaw to get more upvotes? 
I've created a FB group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/5330294200329209/

Shame on you. This is not a solution and you know that.

Shame on you. It should not work as you say.

We are paying a premium fee for having multiple spotify account, but we can use just one on our echo devices!

I'm guessing this still hasn't been resolved? seems like a pretty simple request tbh....

We have 5 Alexa speakers, and a Spotify family account. We can only play one song at a time. I listen to a song downstairs, and when my son tries to listen, it shuts of my speaker and plays on his…. Can we listen to two or more songs at the same time?

How do I link 2 spotify accounts to alexa so we both can play music from our separate accounts on different alexa devices in the same house?

Have family plan UK with 4 accounts for 4 alexa devices. When music is playing in room 1 (account "a") and starting music in room 2 (from account "b") music in room 1 stops. If starting again, room 2 stops and so on.

Suggested posts