Solved!

FAMILY AND ECHO ALEXA

hcn1979

Plan

Family

Country

UK

My Question or Issue

I pay £14.99/month for family subscription. I have 2 Alexas and an Echo Dot. I can't wok out how to have spotify running on each Alexa device, but different music on each through Spotify. We can only seem to access Spotify on one device at a time. Please can soebody advise if we can do this and if so, how. I don't want to play the same music as my sons!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Solution!

Guido
Spotify Legend

Hey all,

If you're interested in using multiple Alexa speakers at the same time, you'll need to not only have separate Spotify accounts, but also separate Amazon accounts. 

If you'd like you can create an Amazon Household which allows you to have multiple profiles in the same account, and you can link your Spotify account to your own Household profile and use the smart speaker you want, even if someone else is using another one in the house.

Take a look here for more info.

Hope it helps. Let us know if you have further questions.

Have a nice day!

View solution in original post

72 Replies

mulu
Casual Listener

@Talisyn, I had exactly the same issue with recommended music. I used my account for the Echos but that messed up the songs Spotify recommended. I ended up using one of the family accounts for the Echos. That way at least the recommended songs on my phone and computer stay untouched. Still, the original problem still exists. You should be able to have different accounts assigned to different Echos.

russ_a_jones
Regular

Hi all,

A very similar issue has been driving me mad for ages but I may have stumbled across a solution / workaround for our specific case. Hopefully it is relevant for you too. Apologies for the ramble!!!

Our setup - We have a single Amazon Account (my wife's). In the Alexa App on her phone we have linked this Amazon Account to a Spotify Family "Admin" Account (again my wife's). Then within her Spotify Family account she has added a further 3 family "Member" accounts for myself and our 2 boys. In the house we have 4 Amazon Echo's, all connected to the same Amazon Account (my wife's). Each of us has a mobile phone with the Spotify app installed.

Our issue - we were not able to listen to different music on different Echo devices at the same time e.g. my wife could be listening to her music in the Kitchen, but if one of the boys came along and started playing music in their room or I played the music in the car, the kitchen music would stop.

To resolve this:-

- Ensure that all member of the household login to their own Spotify Member accounts on the Spotify App on their mobile phones and setup their own playlists in their own accounts. In our case we had all managed to sign in to my wife's account on our phones and setup playlists in her account, even though we paid for Spotify Family. Sounds like an impossible mistake to make but we did it!

- Pair / connect the Spotify App on each of your mobile phones to the Echo device you want to play music on. To do this say "Alexa, Spotify Connect" to the specific Echo you want to listen to music on and follow the instructions that Alexa gives you. This allows my wife, myself and our boys to each play music from our own Spotify accounts / playlists onto a different Echo, all at the same time. Tested and works well

Words of warning

- When you do use the "Spotify Connect" command, I found it best to keep Spotify closed whilst you ask Alexa, then open Spotify when she tells you to. If you don't, the connection between Spotify App & Echo isn't always made.

- each of our Spotify App's do tend to forget some of the Echo devices over time, so you may have to repeat the "Alexa, Spotify Connect" command from time to time. 

- If you want the full voice controlled playing of music simply by speaking to Alexa, then i'm afraid this solution does not work for the Spotify Member accounts. For us only my wife has this luxury because it is her Spotify Admin Account which is linked to Amazon in the Alexa App. To achieve this for everyone, you would all need an Amazon account but then you lose the point of a house full of Echos and the benefits that brings

So whilst it is not perfect, it works for us and allows us to get all the benefits of the Echos around our home, plus the use of Spotify on them, which in my view is the best music app out there. Having to occasionally ask Alexa to "Spotify Connect" and click the odd button on my phone is for me a small price to pay for the best of both worlds.

Hopefully this has solved some of the difficulties that some of you are having. Oh and by the way, why don't Spotify tell you any of this!!

Happy New Year!

Davidor77
Casual Listener
Hi Russ,

Thanks for the information. Unfortunately due to my children's ages they don't have their own mobile phones so this isn't a workable solution. There should be an easier way for families to enjoy music concurrently without the need for multiple (spotify / amazon) accounts, additional devices, etc. I understand Spotify not wishing for their service to be abused but, as a parent I want to retrain control of what my children access / listen to. It simply makes no sense to be so restrictive within a family environment; particularly when you consider their competitors already provide the functionality.

I have already signed up for amazon unlimited as their introductory offer was very appealing. Initial thoughts; their music library is larger & (arguably) better, their app is worse, but streaming to multiple devices without arduous workarounds is seamless.

Thanks for your advice & happy new year to you also.

Davidor77
Casual Listener
It is a nonsense that this functionality has not been introduced. I upgraded to a premium family account so my children (7 & 8 yo) could access music separately, however I wanted to maintain overall control of the content they can access. The inability to allow them to access their own music on their own device (Echo) with it linked to a single Alexa App (mine/parent) even when everything sits under a single IP address is very frustrating. No solutions are being offered by Spotify & it is why I am currently trialing Amazon Unlimited with the intention of switching.

someGuy22
Casual Listener
I agree. I have been battling this for a while. Didn't realize the other music services support this function natively. I love the Spotify app and will be sad to move one...but it doesn't appear that this functionality is on the roadmap anytime soon.

crramirez
Casual Listener

Hello, 

My solution. Spotify family has 6 accounts. If you have one spare account create one for Alexa. Link this new account to Alexa. If you want to use your Spotify account with Alexa say Spotify Connect before listening to music. If not if you ask Alexa to play music it will use the Alexa one.

You can filter explicit content in this Alexa account and also add it to the Family Mix. it is not an ideal solution but it is better than nothing.

Regards,

Carlos

ciscomike
Visitor
Carlos gave the solution guys...
Thank you about that @crramirez

TortolaDan
Casual Listener
He gave a workaround... it may address his needs, and that's great. It doesn't address mine, and Spotify doesn't seem interested in solving this problem, so I cancelled my Spotify account and have moved on.
Solution!

Guido
Spotify Legend

Hey all,

If you're interested in using multiple Alexa speakers at the same time, you'll need to not only have separate Spotify accounts, but also separate Amazon accounts. 

If you'd like you can create an Amazon Household which allows you to have multiple profiles in the same account, and you can link your Spotify account to your own Household profile and use the smart speaker you want, even if someone else is using another one in the house.

Take a look here for more info.

Hope it helps. Let us know if you have further questions.

Have a nice day!

View solution in original post

gorymax
Casual Listener
Shame on you. This is not a solution and you know that.

hjspencer
Casual Listener
This needs un-resolving as it's not fixed.
it's the complete opposite of fixed.
2 years since this was opened and there's still no way to have a family account work with young kids even though you promote the kids app.
My kids are too young for mobiles but they don't want to listen to my music (and I don't want them listening to it )
I can't have them have an Amazon account. If they did I may as well switch to Amazon Music

pgeschke
Casual Listener

How is this marked as solved? - This is SO unacceptable! 
We have a house with echo devices in almost every room, used for controlling heating, lighting and also for music playback with spotify.

When I ride my bike to work, or do anything playing back spotify on the go on my mobile phone and a member of the household wants to play something different from the echo dots within the house, playback just stops.

Also the "pollution" of my spotify account is rendering a lot of useful functions useless, like "most played songs".
I sit in the car playing a "your chosen songs" playlist and all of the sudden listen to paw patrol, or childrens songs. 

Spotify, please get this sorted! 180€ / Year is inacceptable for a half-working solution.

Edit: Maybe it would be wise to spread awareness of this flaw to get more upvotes? 
I've created a FB group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/5330294200329209/

IDaines
Visitor
Is there not a way to link the Spotify account to a profile on Alexa?

Paddylryan
Casual Listener

This is not an acceptable or a workable solution. You guys should be embarrassed. How is it possible that your “engineers” cannot figure out an acceptable solution when Apple has figured it out. Stop being lazy and start listening to your subscribers. I downgraded my Spotify account to the free version today, after being a premium member since 2015. I left your service for Amazon Music Unlimited - which is fully compatible with my smart home. I also sold my investment in your stock after finding out how ridiculously bad your smart home compatibility is regarding the family plan. Good luck not loosing more customers.

rowets
Regular

Hi guys

I keep getting emails from other like minded people about this issue and spotify seemed to be doing zero.

So enough of this inaction, I've just spent the last hour on chat with Spotify trying to get a straight answer...yeah i know what you're thinking

The best thing the guy came up with was to go the suggestions area, and raise an idea. When it gets over a hundred votes they will look more closely 

I've put up the issue and you can get to it with this link, please vote it up, this issue is driving me nuts!

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Idea-Submissions/All-Platforms-Other-Swap-Spotify-accounts-without-...

Cheers

Trev

wa-m4eq_qmwm

I’ve voted on this as well! Such a great and simple idea (allow multiple people to cast/play music on one device) it’s worked easily on all my google home devices... but frustratingly not with my new echo show.

indifisher

I've voted on this. If they can't fix this then I'm jumping ship. £14.99 a month for a family account that can't actually be used on modern smart speakers by an actual family. Dreadful.

konean

I mean even if you do it the proper way how Amazon and Spotify wants it, it doesnt really work. I tested it today with two amazon accounts where each one has a their own spotify account . When you switch the household profile with Alexa it switches without problems. It will recognize the change and pick the stuff form the correct Spotify Account (playlist etc). The problem is the playback isnt working anymore. The personal list gets picked and the playback will be stuck at 0:01. It will only work again if you manual start playing on the echo from the spotify app. After that it works normal again. If you switch back to the other housould profil you can access your spotify again but to hear music you need to manual start the playback with the app otherwise alexa wont play. 

So yeah, Spotify was the best in the early days, imo still the best in terms of music catalogue, but the whole integration within the smart home stuff is way behind their competitors. 

C79b
Casual Listener

Thanks I’ve voted on it.

FYI you can create a household so both you and your wife’s Amazon accounts are linked, once you’ve done this you can control your lights, heating (whatever you have set up) on either account.  So in your case you could have your wife using her account on a device playing her music meanwhile you could be using your account on another device also playing music - you would also need Spotify family and have both of your Amazon accounts linked to each of your Spotify accounts (within the family Spotify account).

The issue I have is I now have 5 echo devices around the house and 4 people.  2 of those are my kids who can’t have Amazon accounts within the household so we can’t do what I’ve described above.  If they were adults (and no I’m not interested in making full adult Amazon accounts for them) I think it would work as I described above.

just seems really annoying that they market the echo devices for family setups but Amazon haven’t thought through how families would actually use them and Spotify are asleep at the wheel...

blamberton

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but I just set up a new Echo Show 8 with my own Amazon account - which is under the Amazon Household - and while Spotify works correctly, I can't control any other smart home devices. 

mulu
Casual Listener

I have voted on it

SUGGESTED POSTS