Plan

Premium Family

Device

Samsung Galaxy S7

Operating System

Android ???

My Question or Issue

Dear Spotify support and responibles,

I bought a Family Premium account today and found out, that it is not possible to include our daughter, 14 years old, as an own account - only via Spotify-Kids (which is not an option in our case). Spotify says, members have to be 18 years old or at least 16 years old. Why don´t you mention this in your terms, when I´m in the buying process for such an account. "Family" says adults and kids with a certain age - so it should be clearly said for which age we can use what.
On the other hand, if I search in Google, it says - for Germany - that the age is at least 14 years. Our daughter is 14 years old.
What is correct? And what can we do now?
Thanks and best regards,
Frank

P.s.: using your help/support here is not very self-explaining and results in a lot of mistakes. 

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @ostkaka22, thanks for reaching out to the Community!

As stated in the Terms and Conditions of Spotify, under Section 1 it states: "To use the Spotify Services and access Content, (1) you must be 18 years of age or older, 16 years of age or older and has your parent or guardian's consent to the Agreements".

Unfortunately, your daughter isn't of age to use the Spotify services at the moment. The only option available is they can use Spotify Kids. More info here

I'll pass your feedback about the age limit to the right teams at Spotify. and you can always create an Idea about this here

I hope this sheds some light on the situation, but don't hesitate to let me know if I can help with anything else!

Billy-JSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey @ostkaka22, thanks for reaching out to the Community!

As stated in the Terms and Conditions of Spotify, under Section 1 it states: "To use the Spotify Services and access Content, (1) you must be 18 years of age or older, 16 years of age or older and has your parent or guardian's consent to the Agreements".

Unfortunately, your daughter isn't of age to use the Spotify services at the moment. The only option available is they can use Spotify Kids. More info here

I'll pass your feedback about the age limit to the right teams at Spotify. and you can always create an Idea about this here

I hope this sheds some light on the situation, but don't hesitate to let me know if I can help with anything else!

Billy-JSpotify Star

Thanks for clarifying this.
In my opinion, this should be stated much more clear at the beginning of the buying process, especially, when buying the "Family Premium" package.
But thanks and best regards, Frank

Hey @ostkaka22

Noted and passed on to the teams. 

I'm happy to hear everything is good to go. If you need help in the future, you can always start a new topic and the Community will be happy to help.

Have a great day!

Billy-JSpotify Star

It is ridiculous that there is still no other option for families with children under 16! The Spotify kids app is nice for younger ones, but not appropriate anymore for children between 12 and 16 who want to create their own playlists etc.
Also, offering a "Family Plan" for six members of the same household who have to be older than 16 doesn't really make sense, right? How many people over 16 live in your household?! I moved out of my parent's house when I was 18 and I guess I would not have thought of sharing a Spotify plan with them even if I had stayed at home ( and Spotify had been invented then 😉 ...

Don't get me wrong - I love Spotify, but having to explain my children that they can only use the Kids App with limited content until they are 16 really sucks. 😞

This is not a solution!

Hi there @user-removed,

Thank you for your reply and feedback.

If you click on Terms and Conditions of Spotify under section 1 > Age and eligibility requirements, it says - BY USING THE SPOTIFY SERVICE, YOU AFFIRM THAT YOU ARE 18 YEARS OR OLDER TO ENTER INTO THESE TERMS, OR, IF YOU ARE NOT, THAT YOU ARE 13 YEARS OR OLDER AND HAVE OBTAINED PARENTAL OR GUARDIAN CONSENT TO ENTER INTO THESE TERMS. Additionally, in order to use the Spotify Service and access any Content, you represent that: you reside in the United States, and any registration and account information that you submit to Spotify is true, accurate, and complete, and you agree to keep it that way at all times.

We hope that this information was helpful 🙂

Let us know if we can help you with anything else.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Thank you for your reply, Jeremy. The Terms and Conditions from which you are quoting are those valid in the United States. Unfortunately, the minimum age and the Terms and Conditions vary, depending on the country you live in. If you live in Germany, like the user who started this thread, you can only legally use Spotify if you are 16 or older.

Also, Spotify Kids is only available in a handful of countries, which is really annoying. In our case, we once moved from a country with Spotify Kids to a country where it is not available - you can imagine the frustration this caused, for parents and children!
One would think that a platform as big as Spotify would manage to be accessible in all it's features around the world...

Hey @user-removed,

Thanks for the reply.

We understand your situation and we appreciate your feedback. We'll pass it on to the right teams at Spotify, as they always strive to make the experience better and the app more accessible worldwide.

Cheers.

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Same problem in 2023, with the only difference being that I bought a Duo subscription (yes that happens when there is only one parent and child). Only after I paid for the subscription and my daughter accepted the link invitation and started filling out the profile, it turned out that she could not be registered because she was 15!
Why can't this information be displayed on the subscription selection page?! Do you seriously think that users read 50 pages of your "terms and conditions" before subscribing? I don't think you do, it's just an attempt to get a new subscriber, even if he or she does unsubscribe, he or she will still pay for at least a month.
She ended up just indicating her age is older and passed the sign up.

Hey @Comrada,

I understand your frustration about this. I will pass your feedback on to the right folks as Spotify always aims to improve the customer experience for everyone. 

Billy-JSpotify Star

Suggested posts