Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

I'm leaving for Apple Music because they have an explicit content filter for my kids

I'm leaving for Apple Music because they have an explicit content filter for my kids

Not much more to say except that I can't believe there is a Spotify Family plan, but no way to block explicit content for my 10 and 7 year old.  Thousands and thousands of people have been asking for this fix for years, but Spotify doesn't care, so I'm leaving for Apple Music, which does have a content filter.  Sad, because otherwise I love Spotify.  My own band is on Spotify (Octopolis), and we have many songs with explicit content, but that doesn't mean I want my kids to hear them 🙂

5 Replies

Hey @Octopolist!

Thanks for getting in touch with us.

Right now, in order to use the Spotify Service and access the content, you need to be 18 or older, or be 13 or older and have your parent or guardian’s consent, as stated on our T&Cs.

However, you can support the idea to add a parental control or a button that controls if explicit content is played or not.

All the best.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”
― Maria Augusta von Trapp

Wow! They really dont care do they. 

You can switch explicit content off BUT you will need to be wired! In other words if you play through wireless speakers then you will be listening to cursing and literally want be cursing! Considering this is a streaming service, with the world switching to wireless tech, and rise of smart speakers... I’m considering testing out Apple Music. Seems like Spotify doesn’t have the capacity to keep up. 

Explicit filter has recently appeared for iOS users.

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Accounts/Is-there-a-way-to-block-explicit-songs/m-p/4459863#M149361...

If they have implemented so many years before, I think soon will be available for the rest.

ok this is  clearly good news but can I turn it on just for my son's account?  also, looks like they bleep out explicit words in song titles, like Apple Music does

Suggested posts