Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

I received a message saying I have to allow artist on phone

Solved!

I received a message saying I have to allow artist on phone

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

Desktop computer

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

I have a "recently played" list of artists. I found the artist I wanted to play, and noticed they have a new album which was released in early October. I selected the album, but it won't play on my computer. I then selected the Google Speaker, and it plays fine. But since I'm in another room, I wanted to play it in that room, on my desktop computer. 

I've closed the desktop app, and reopened it, but it still won't play on my desktop computer. 

I then saw on the top of the app, a blue message bar which says I have to allow the artist on my phone app. But when I look at the phone's app, I don't see anything that shows how to do that. 

Moreover, I can't get it to play on my phone app, even though I was able to download it to the phone with no problem. 

I can play other artists on the computer no problem. 

This really makes no sense. 

What is going on here? 

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hello @SteveBMe

Thank you for reaching out here in the Community!

By the message you're getting, it sounds like you've probably blocked this artist on your mobile device by mistake. 

To undo it:

• Open the Spotify app on your phone. 
  • Go to the artist page that you're not able to play. 
  • Tap the three dots icon_options_iphone.png
  • Tap the Don't play this artist icon_no.png option to unblock the artist. 

If that doesn't help, you can try this:

• Go to Your Library icon_library.png
  • Scroll all the way down. 
  • Tap icon_no.png Hidden
  • Look for the artist and unblock them. 

Let me know how it goes! 

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Marked as solution

Hello @SteveBMe

Thank you for reaching out here in the Community!

By the message you're getting, it sounds like you've probably blocked this artist on your mobile device by mistake. 

To undo it:

• Go to the artist page that you're not able to play. 
  • Tap the three dots icon_options_iphone.png
  • Tap the Don't play this artist icon_no.png option to unblock the artist. 

If that doesn't help, you can try this:

• Go to Your Library icon_library.png
  • Scroll all the way down. 
  • Tap icon_no.png Hidden
  • Look for the artist and unblock them. 

Let me know how it goes! 

Good morning Emilia.

Ok. I've found the artist, and then clicked the 3 dots up to the upper right. 

I then found the "don't play this" artist, and it was indeed active. I clicked it again, to restore it. It's no longer red. 

I then went to my desktop, and it won't play. I then returned to my phone, to make sure I had unclicked the don't play this. I can see that the don't play this is no longer red, but it still won't let me play it on either the phone, or the desktop.

I'm not able to locate the "hidden" option you're referring to on my phone app. I've checked the playlist, artist, and album, under my library. I've also checked the filters on all three--- nada. 

I then restarted the phone, and tried all the above again.... still not letting me play them. 

Thanks for the response, @SteveBMe!

No worries, the Hidden part was just in case the Don't play this option is not available on the artist page 🙂

It might be an issue with cache not being updated. I'd recommend performing clean reinstall of your Spotify app. It's different than regular reinstallation.
Just find your devices in this article and follow the steps provided there.

I hope it helps!

Ok.

I'm not fond of uninstalling, and reinstalling apps. Especially when I have a large collection of albums, and artists I've downloaded from Spotify for offline use. I did get into the phone's settings, found the app and cache, and cleared that out. 

3 hours later now...... 

I had an errand I ran. I was able to play the album on my phone, and now I'm back home, and the computer still won't play it. 

Ok..... NOW it's playing on my computer. This was a goofy experience. I do however think I figured out how I clicked on don't play this. It's not that difficult to do. 

Ok, this topic appears to be resolved for now..... If I have any more troubles with it, I'll be back (I hope not!).

Thank you for your help, and "listening" to my frustrations....... 

Have a Merry Christmas. 

Hi @SteveBMe

It's great to hear that!

If something comes up, feel free to reach out. 

Have a great day! 

Suggested posts