Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Individual Premium Plan to Family Premium Plan, Will I Lose $?

Individual Premium Plan to Family Premium Plan, Will I Lose $?

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

My Question or Issue

Hello, I currently have an individual premium plan that purchased with a $100 gift card. I still have 200 days left on this plan. I would like to switch to my family's premium plan that is now currently active. Is there any way for the remaining balance to be credited to the family plan/for me to receive the credit in another form? Or will I lose this money? (Calculated to be about $55.) Thank you.

3 Replies

Hi @jdt_,

Thanks for posting in the Spotify Community, and welcome!

When you join a Premium Family plan, it is unfortunately the case that any remaining individual Premium time that you have is forfeited; and no refunds are available for changing from your individual Premium plan before the end of your paid subscription period. 

Upon joining a Premium Family plan, you won’t be charged for your account any further; and instead, all subsequent payments on your account will be made by the Premium Family plan’s manager (the person who started the plan).

Bear in mind that to accept an invite to a Premium Family plan, you need to reside at the same address as the plan manager. Also, note that if your individual Premium subscription is currently handled by a partner company (such as your phone or internet provider), you’ll first need to cancel with them and wait for your current Premium to end before being able to join a Premium Family plan.

You can also read more about the Premium Family plan in this FAQ article as well as in this support article.

Let me know if you have any other questions, and have a good day!

AdamDamSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Thanks for the reply. I've seen mixed messages about this, but I supposed it's situational. There were posts from a few months ago stating that any "prepaid time will be automatically recalculated to account for the price difference between the subscriptions." This may not apply to me, but I wish there was a clearer answer from Spotify, or at least a way for customers to not feel like they're losing money.

Hi @jdt_,

Thank you for your reply!

If you join an existing Premium Family subscription as a member of the plan, you would lose your remaining Premium Individual time left from the gift card (as is acknowledged in this support article). In contrast, if you were to start a new Premium Family plan on your account (rather than joining an existing one), then yes, the Premium time would be recalculated to account for the price difference.

Premium Individual has the same features as Premium Family, except Family Mix; so if you want access specifically to Family Mix, you’ll have to join the plan. Otherwise, it's not necessary to join it immediately; rather, you can wait until your gift card expires.

Let me know if you have any other questions, and have a good day!

AdamDamSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Suggested posts