NEXT STEP

Invites show strange name

Invites show strange name

Plan

Premium

Country

UK

My Question or Issue

My account was compromised back in April and I contacted Spotify at the time regarding this as the attacker upgraded me to a family account. I beleived that the issues were resolved following a conversation with a very friendly support agent, who moved my account back to a normal premium one.

Unfortunately I've today found that this isn't fully sorted. I've now upgraded myself to a family account and sent out an invite, this invite has a name showing on it that is not mine and confused the person that received the invite. I contacted Spotify support and they advised that this name can't be changed (I understand that they may not have a way to directly alter this, but surely they can send a request to a back-end team to update this to a correct name. The only alternative offered was to close my account, sign up again and transfer everything over. I've had this spotify account for a long time, signing up very shortly after spotify first launched so I really don't want to do that. 

Has anyone had success in getting this changed at all? GDPR regulations state that data should be accurate, this is in-accurate data with no method to change.

1 Reply

Hey @leviaxxan.

Thanks for getting in touch.

Currently the only way to change the address in your account is to have your account closed and to create a new account. No worries, if you make sure your music collection is stored in public playlists, you can visit your old account with your new account and grab all your songs from there. You can visit your old account by putting the following string in the search bar:  spotify:user:username

Don't forget to replace username with your own username. Oh and by the way, If you want to use the same email address for your new account, you'll have to close your old account. You'll have 7 days to visit your old account and find your music there.

We hope you'd like to try this! It's a lot quicker than it might seem. Let us know if you have further questions.

Have a nice day!

Suggested posts