Other bluetooth devices controlling Spotify app on my phone

Other bluetooth devices controlling Spotify app on my phone

Plan

Family

Country

US

Device

OnePlus 6T, iPhone 8, Mac

We've had Spotify Family for a while now but only recently have we had this issue. When my wife listens to Spotify on her computer (Mac) through her BT headphones, it affects the music that I'M listening to on my phone (Android) through my BT headphones. Every time she pauses her music, mine pauses. Every time she skips a track, mine skips. This happened last week with our oldest when he was listening on her computer as well and he has his own pair of BT headphones. We are all signed into our own accounts so we know that isn't the issue. We've also made sure to have our individual devices forget all other BT device profiles except the ones that we're using specifically. 

She chatted with a Customer Service Rep this morning who was very little help. We're getting so frustrated by this that we're seriously considering canceling and going to another streaming service. Has anyone else experienced this issue??

9 Replies

Hey there @DRascon!

Thanks for reaching out to us about this.

Can you let us know if this issue only happens when music is played via that Mac computer?

We'd recommend that every family member follows the steps here to log out everywhere to be on the extra safe side.

If your issue persists, it would be great if you could send us some screenshots of what you and your wife see on your devices when this mix up happens.

We'll be on the lookout for your answer and we'll see what we can suggest next. Let us know if there's anything else we can do for you in the meantime.

ElenaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi Elena,

Yes, the only time that the music changes on my device is when someone else (usually my wife) is also playing music on her Mac. And, unfortunately, there isn't anything to screen shot because it's just the Spotify app, open and playing music. The inappropriate controlling happens, though, only when BT devices are being used

Thanks for the info @DRascon!

What happens if only you're playing music and she uses the controls of the headphones without streaming from her device?

Could your wife try to pair and un-pair her bluetooth headphones from your phone to see if that makes a difference?

We'd also recommend restarting your devices after that to make sure the changes are synced up.​

Keep us in the loop!

ElenaModerator

Good morning Elena,

I apologize but I don't understand what you're asking in your first question... 

And my wife's headphones are not paired to my phone, only mine are. Hers are paired to her Mac

Hey hey @DRascon!

If everybody is logged in on their own individual account, it shouldn't be possible for your wife to control your music and it's possible that the devices are causing the issue.

Sorry for the confusion, I was asking if you can start streaming music on your phone and try pausing it using the controls on your wife's headphones to see if they seem to be connected in any way.

Also what happens if you turn off the bluetooth on your phone and she tries controlling her own device with the headphones? 

We'll need to determine if this is an issue with your account or with the bluetooth connection to be able to offer more troubleshooting steps.

Than you for cooperation with us! Let us know how you get on.

ElenaModerator

Hi Elena,

We've been having issues recently with making and receiving phone calls over our wifi connection so I've had it turned off on my phone since early yesterday afternoon. My wife and I are both currently listening to our own playlists (me, on my phone speaker, and her on her Mac through her Airpods) and she was starting a new song using the desktop controls (not her Airpods) and when she pressed play, it paused my song but didn't start hers. I pressed play again on my phone then my song restarted and she pressed play again on her Mac and her song started. It doesn't appear that the BT or the devices are the issue at this point...

Good morning Elena,

Any updates or suggestions?

Thanks

Hey @DRascon!

Sorry for the delay! 

At this point we'd recommend that your wife reinstalls the app on her computer with the steps here.

It's also a good idea that you clear the cache on your phone with the instructions here.

We'll be on the lookout for your update. Give us a shout if you have any further questions.

ElenaModerator

Neither of these actions worked.

Suggested posts