Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Son moving to boarding school - will he loose access to family account?

Solved!

Son moving to boarding school - will he loose access to family account?

Plan

Premium family

Country

Denmark

Device

(iPhone / computer)

Operating System

(iOS 10, Windows 10)

My Question or Issue

Hi Spotify. We have a Spotify premium family plan. As of this school year my oldest son (16 years old) is moving to a boarding school, and it is school politic, that he must change his address to the new school's address for as long as he is a student there. We still consider him our son living at home, but his address will be different from our family's address. - Will this mean that he loses his Spotify Premium family account? And if so, is it then possible to change his account to an individual one so that he will keep all of his playlists? (how to do that?) ... Of course I very much hope, that he can keep his family account!!!

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @drowningman, thanks for reaching out to the Community!

I can't guarantee that he'll be on the Premium Family plan. He might be able to stay on the plan for a while, but may lose access to the plan at some point due to the country changes and location changes. More information on this here.

An alternative is that he can sign up for the Premium Student plan. This plan is a discounted plan, and switching to different plans won't cause him to lose any saved music and podcasts.

I hope this clears things up. I'll be here if you need anything else! 

Billy-JSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey @drowningman, thanks for reaching out to the Community!

I can't guarantee that he'll be on the Premium Family plan. He might be able to stay on the plan for a while, but may lose access to the plan at some point due to the country changes and location changes. More information on this here.

An alternative is that he can sign up for the Premium Student plan. This plan is a discounted plan, and switching to different plans won't cause him to lose any saved music and podcasts.

I hope this clears things up. I'll be here if you need anything else! 

Billy-JSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Can you clarify the mechanics -- a person in a family plan moving to school would do precisely what to get a student premium?

Hey @joeoldham,

Unfortunately I can't provide any further information regarding how Spotify monitors and confirms locations on the Family Plan.

If you are looking to sign up to Spotify for Student you'll need to be at an accredited institution studying at higher level (see the support article linked at the end for more information) that will be moving to Student is on Family they'll need to leave the Family which the Family plan manager will be able to do through there account, once this reverts to free then you'll be able to move to Spotify for Student, they'll be asked to verify their educational credentials with Spotify's partner SheerID.

For more info on Student Premium check out this Support Article. 

sorry, I couldn't help it

Suggested posts