Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Switch family manager

Solved!

Switch family manager

Hi,

I have got a family subscription. Unfortunatelly the family management account is set to one of my kids.

Is it possible to switch it to one of the other family accounts as "master account"?

Thanks and regards

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi @HorstyS,

Thanks for posting in the Spotify Community, and welcome!

Unfortunately, at the moment there isn’t a way to change the plan manager of a Premium Family plan.

However, the plan manager of the existing Premium Family plan can cancel the plan, and then a different member of your residence can start a new Premium Family plan as the plan manager.

No worries, changing subscription plans won’t cause anyone to lose their playlists or saved music, and everyone can keep their same Spotify accounts.

The plan manager for the current Premium Family plan can cancel the existing plan by following these steps:

1. Log into spotify.com/account
  2. Under Your plan, click Change Plan
  3. Scroll to Spotify Free and click Cancel Premium

At your next billing date, the accounts of each member of the Premium Family plan will switch to the free plan. At this time, the plan manager for the new Premium Family plan can start the plan here and then invite the other members.

Bear in mind that to accept the invites, members must live at the same address as the plan manager. Also note that members can only switch between Premium Family (or Premium Duo) plans once a year.

You can also read more about how the Premium Family plan works in this support article as well as in this FAQ article.

Let me know if you have any other questions, and have a good day!

AdamDamSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

34 Replies
Marked as solution

Hi @HorstyS,

Thanks for posting in the Spotify Community, and welcome!

Unfortunately, at the moment there isn’t a way to change the plan manager of a Premium Family plan.

However, the plan manager of the existing Premium Family plan can cancel the plan, and then a different member of your residence can start a new Premium Family plan as the plan manager.

No worries, changing subscription plans won’t cause anyone to lose their playlists or saved music, and everyone can keep their same Spotify accounts.

The plan manager for the current Premium Family plan can cancel the existing plan by following these steps:

1. Log into spotify.com/account
  2. Under Your plan, click Change Plan
  3. Scroll to Spotify Free and click Cancel Premium

At your next billing date, the accounts of each member of the Premium Family plan will switch to the free plan. At this time, the plan manager for the new Premium Family plan can start the plan here and then invite the other members.

Bear in mind that to accept the invites, members must live at the same address as the plan manager. Also note that members can only switch between Premium Family (or Premium Duo) plans once a year.

You can also read more about how the Premium Family plan works in this support article as well as in this FAQ article.

AdamDamSpotify Star

That seems like an unfortunate and clunky process for a simple change like that... hopefully Spotify figures out a solution soon. 

I hope they will add this functionality, as it's a really simple but needed feature...

When you change from the premium to the basic then back to premium do you loose all your downloaded/saved songs?  

Hi @Squeeks8,

Thanks for posting in the Spotify Community!

Premium Family plan members keep all of their saved music when canceling the plan, reverting to the free service, and then starting/joining a new Premium Family plan with a different plan manager.

However, note that each member will need to re-download any music for offline listening once they’re subscribed to the new Premium Family plan, as it’s currently necessary to have a Premium subscription to be able to download music on Spotify for offline listening.

AdamDamSpotify Star

my ex is the plan manager of a premium plan paid for my my credit card.  I want to remove the credit card from the account. he does not live with me and I had no idea he was still on it.

Hey @PissedOff10,

Thanks for your reply and for the info shared.

In this case, we'd recommend contacting our Customer Support team, so they can help you check your case and account and give you some insights about it. You can find how to contact them here.

We'll be here if anything else comes up.

AlejaRModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

This is a stupid process. My wife reads the audiobooks. She needs to be the damn plan manager. Or change who can read the free 15 hours.

I 100% agree and have the same problem. You should be able to change who the plan manager is XX times per year without having to cancel and sign up again. Please fix this problem. 

Another Duo couple in the same exact situation. I use audiobooks while he couldn't care less. "Clunky" is right. C'mon, Spotify!

Same exact situation. My wife wants the audiobooks, I won't ever listen. This is so ridiculous. Whatever money Spotify thinks they are saving with this restriction, it's hurting the user experience and will damage them in the long run. Unnecessarily nickle-and-dime-ing your paying customers will backfire. Just fix this nonsense. 

I am the only that listens to audiobooks, but now we can’t simply change the plan manager so the 15 hours is just going to waste. Spotify needs to find a solution for this asap. 

This answers the question but is not an acceptable experience.  My alternative approach will be to cancel my Spotify account and choose a competitor.  Too many times Spotify has compromised my experience.  Maybe spend less time doing a pointless "end of year music wrap up" and just make a better product.

Hey Adam,

hubby and I have just changed plans so I can listen to the audio books, he was the family plan manager, I’ve changed his account to free and have tried to add him to my new family plan but it won’t except the address, is this because he’s still a premium member until 2024-01-14. 
cheers

Hey there @Georgina09,

Thanks for reaching out!

Even though you've canceled his subscription, it sounds like he might have some Premium time left on his account. Once the Premium time expires, as mentioned on his account page, the account will revert to the free service. He should then be able to join your new Family plan right away.

We hope this helps! Cheers.

MariaModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Please change this Spotify, I can no longer pay the family plan and would like to switch it to my sister without disrupting and sending out invites again to everyone . I’m trying to avoid embarrassment here 

This is one of the dumbest things I have ever seen a company do. I have to completely cancel my subscription just to switch the manager? Seriously? This should be a simple checkbox and password enter.

This cannot be the solution.

You do realize what an absolutely **bleep**-poor UX this is right? As many have said, I don't want the audiobooks, but my spouse does. Why do we have to jump through all these hoops to change who can access the audiobooks?

Exactly! This process of cancelling just to change to a different manager is ridiculous! 

Suggested posts