Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Switching from Spotify Family to Spotify Premium

Switching from Spotify Family to Spotify Premium

Hi,

I am currently a member in a Spotify Family Plan and I would like to switch to a single student plan so that I have my own account that I can pay for with my bank account. Is that possible?

Thanks in advance

5 Replies

Hi @meme18,

Thanks for posting in the Spotify Community!

You can leave the Premium Family plan that you’re currently a member of and start a Premium Student plan at any time by logging in to your subscription page, selecting CHANGE PLAN, and then selecting Premium for Students

This way, you can use your current Spotify account (with all your playlists and saved music) for the Student Premium subscription.

Once you’ve received confirmation from SheerID via email that you’re eligible, and your payment details have been confirmed, your Premium Student subscription will be activated on your current Spotify account.

However, if you’d rather like to start over with a new Spotify account for your Premium Student subscription, you can log in to your subscription page, select CHANGE PLAN, and then select CANCEL PREMIUM under Spotify Free in order to leave the Premium Family plan. Then, you can sign up for Premium Student with a new Spotify account here.

Let me know if you have any other questions, and have a good day!

AdamDamSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Thank you for your answer. If I click on change plan it only gives me Spotify Free as an option. There is nothing else I can choose. Is there another way to do this? I would like to keep my current account instead of starting new with my Liked Songs and Playlists and all.

Hi @meme18,

Thank you for your reply!

Can you try accessing your subscription page here, using a private window or a different browser?

If you still don’t see the option to change your subscription plan to Premium Student, I would recommend canceling your Premium Family subscription, waiting until your subscription reverts to the Free plan, and then upgrading to Premium Student here.

If you've successfully applied for the Premium Student plan, you'll be charged the discounted Premium rate on your next billing date.

Let me know if you’re still unable to sign up for Premium Student, and @Billy-J and I will take a closer look.

I look forward to your reply, and have a good day!

AdamDamSpotify Star

Hi there,

Im having the same problem trying to switch from a family plan to single account. The only option is to cancel the family premium and start all over again. I've had my account for years and don't want to lose my data. Is there anything else I can try?

Thanks

Hi @ssaallttyyeesstt,

Thanks for posting in the Spotify Community, and welcome!

No worries, changing subscription plans won’t cause you to lose your playlists or saved music, and you can keep your same Spotify account on the new plan.

If you’re the plan manager for the Premium Family plan, and you don’t see an option on your account page to switch to Spotify Premium after clicking Change Plan (under Your plan), you can try using a private window or a different browser to see if this option appears for you.

• If a private window or different browser still doesn’t present the option to switch to Premium Individual, I would suggest that you can go ahead and select Cancel Premium under Spotify Free. When you do so, all members’ accounts will revert to the free service at your next billing date (which you can view on your account page, under Payment). At that time, you can then subscribe to your own Premium Individual plan here, keeping your same Spotify account. 

In case you’re a member of the Premium Family plan (rather than its plan manager), you can leave the plan by logging into your account page and clicking Change Plan. Then select Cancel Premium under Spotify Free; when you leave the Premium Family plan, your account will revert to the free plan immediately, and you can then subscribe to your own Premium Individual plan here with your same Spotify account. 

Note that if you have Premium Family with a partner company (e.g your phone or internet provider), you’ll first need to cancel with them and wait for your current Premium time to end before switching plans. You can find their contact link on your account page, under Payment

Let me know how this goes, as well as if you have any other questions.

Have a good day!

AdamDamSpotify Star

Suggested posts