Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Switching from one family plan to another

Switching from one family plan to another

Plan: Family

Free/Premium: Premium

My Question or Issue:

I want to switch from one family plan (which I was on with my flatmates) to another family plan (with my actual family). When I try to cancel my subscription, Spotify tells me the subscription has ended and that I can sign up for a new Premium subscription. However, when I go back to the subscriptions page, it still says I'm in a Family plan. How long does it usually take for a Family susbscription to be cancelled, and how long should I wait before I can join another plan?

Thanks!

11 Replies

Hey @sarisari,

Thanks for coming to the Community.

RE: Leaving the current plan you're part of

You should be able to leave the plan by following these steps:

1. Log in to your subscription page
  2. Select CHANGE OR CANCEL.
  3. Here you can either choose to switch to another type of paid subscription such as standard Premium or Premium for Students, or return to the free Spotify service.

If you're having trouble doing so, you can also ask the owner of the plan to remove you.

RE: Joining another Premium for Family plan
Keep in mind that you can only switch from one Family plan to another once every 12 months, so it's possible that you won't be able to join your family's Premium for Family plan right away.

Hope this helps! 🙂

MaximSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I'm planning to do the same, but don't want to loose my playlists, likes etc. 

Does it look the same after opening my own family plan or do I have to start from scratch?

Thank you!

Hi @helix-86!

Don't worry - your library (including your playlists, Liked Songs, saved albums and podcasts) won't be affected if you decide to change your current plan / cancel your subscription. You get to keep everything, however, note that the downloads you had for offline listening will disappear as this feature is limited to Premium users only.

Something else worth pointing out is that family members can only switch Family plans once a year so make sure to coordinate this with the rest of your family. More info can be found in this article.

Cheers!

YordanModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

hi @Yordan i have a query related to switching family plan.

i joined current family on June 2022. im planning to switch to another family to my dorm mate this month (Feb 2022). am i still eligible to switch family?

Hey there @azuraerurin,

Thanks for getting in touch about this. 

Keep in mind that Premium Family members are only able to switch plans once in 12 months, this includes switching between Premium Family and Premium Duo. If this is the first time that you want to switch in 12 months you should be able to do so. Note that this starts counting since the first time you joined the plan.

If you have any questions or need a hand with anything else, the Community is here for you.

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Note that this starts counting since the first time you joined the plan.

can i check the date i started subscribing to my current plan? i am unsure about the time, and i want to check if i am eligible to switch already

Hi there @azuraerurin,

Thanks for the reply.

You can go to your account page > Receipts and check the date on your first receipt. If you've been a plan member the receipt will be for 0.00, but it will have the exact date on it.

Cheers.

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

hi @Alex is there any other way to check? because i dont seem to find my receipt as a family member (should already be joining at 2022 but no receipts on that year)

Screen Shot 2023-02-07 at 12.25.47.png

Hey @azuraerurin,

Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

We apologize for the confusion. You can check when you join a plan by checking your email notifications. When you join a plan (if you have enabled email notifications for your account), you should receive an email confirming that you are now part of the plan.

You can also check with the Family Owner of a previous plan you were part of by checking when and where they sent you the invitation. However, just to clarify, there is currently no way to check when you join a plan in your Account page.

We hope you found this helpful. We're always here to help.

AlejaRModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

@alejaR,

Is there any way I can join a new family plan before 12 months of joining another?

Hey @ForeverHonest ,

Unfortunately, this can only be done by creating a new account at https://spotify.com/signup 🙂

MaximSpotify Star
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Suggested posts