Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Unable to to upgrade from premium to Family Plan

Unable to to upgrade from premium to Family Plan

I am from South Africa, I currently have a premium account that I'd like to upgrade to a Family plan. Attempting to upgrade gives me the following error: "Unable to change plans. This could be because you're not eligible for this plan, you're already on it, or you don't have a stored payment method." - I bought my Spotify premium directly from Spotify.

Please can someone assist me with regards to this.

Kind Regards

14 Replies

Hey @Wounded! Welcome to the Spotify Community. ^^

That's odd.

Have you set a payment method for you Spotify Premium or are you using pre-paid cards for your subscription? Because you need an ongoing payment method to subscribe to Spotify Family.

Let me know how it goes! ^^

Peace 

Greetings Nico

I have a setup payment method with a card that goes off every month without any problems. I also updated it to make sure it was not that prior to creating the post.

I have found the solution to the problem, my account is now a family plan.

Thank you for your help. Much Appreciated!

Hey there @Wounded,

Thanks for getting back to us.

We're happy to hear you've managed to upgrade to Premium Family.

Feel free to post what did the trick for you - this way you can help others who are in a similar situation 🙂 

Also, let us know if you have more questions or need help with anything else. 

Have a great day!

PetyaModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

Hey @Petya

I cancelled my ordinary premium, then navigated the Spotify Website to the plans sections that is separate from my account options. I then clicked to upgrade to the family plan from the now free account and it allowed me to do so after entering my payment option details.

I hope this information can help someone if they ever have a similar situation.

Thanks again to the community for the assistance.

Could you please share what the solution was to this problem?
I have the same issue of being "Unable to change plans."

Thanks

Thanks.
Ignore my earlier post :))

Hi Wounded

Thank you for letting us know how to do this - I have the same problem as you.

Quick question - when you cancelled the premium plan and moved to the free plan did it delete all your downloaded playlists on your account?

And when you signed up again did it remember all the playlists?

Just wondering before I do this.

Thanks

Hi there @bbhhwood206,

Just jumping in here to confirm that you’ll still be able to access all your saved music and playlists when you move back to the free plan. 

In case you have music downloaded for offline listening, you may need to download it again if you use the app while you're on free.

Hope this answers your question. Let us know if there's anything else we can help with!

Happy listening 🙂

XeniaModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi there,

I encountered the same error when trying to upgrade my Premium plan to Family plan. Error message of "Unable to change plans. This could be because you're not eligible for this plan, you're already on it, or you don't have a stored payment method."

I'm trying out the propose solution above by cancelling the current plan. But do I have to wait until the cancellation to take effect (following the billing cycle), before I can apply for Family Plan ?  

Actually mine worked.
You don’t need to wait for the other plan to end.
But it won’t let you do it on your account page.
Go to the general Spotify web page and act like you signing up for a new family account. Make sure it’s the one with credit card details and not linked to vodacom.
Then fill in cc details and use your same email and password.
And you should have a family account.
Worked for me.
Good luck.

Hey there @bbhhwood206,

Thanks for posting what worked for you!

We just want to jump in and make sure you didn't accidentally create a second account. Make sure to double check this by following the steps on this page.

Keep in mind that only users who subscribed to individual Premium through a partner need to cancel their plan and wait for the account to revert to free before activating Premium Family.  

Hope you find this useful. Keep us posted if you have any questions.

Have an awesome day!

Hello, please i need help upgrading from a premium plan (Single) to duo. After clicking on upgrade/change plan to premium duo, it only loads a blank page. I've been stuck on this page for a month now each time i try. Any help please?

Hey there @Lawdam

Thank you for your post here in the Community.

Try following these steps from an incognito tab or a different device: 

1. Log into your Account Overview page.
  2. Under Your plan, click CHANGE PLAN.
  3. Select Premium Duo and enter your payment details.

Take into account that this will only work if you have the subscription directly through Spotify. If you pay with a partner company (e.g. your mobile or internet provider), you'll need to cancel the subscription with them first. Once your Premium time is up, you can subscribe to Premium Duo from here.

If you have any issues, you can contact our Support team and they'll help you check. 

If you have any questions or need anything else, the Community is here for you.

Susan_GPModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts