Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Using Spotify Family with young kids and Google Home

Using Spotify Family with young kids and Google Home

Plan: Family

Device: Google Home Mini

I'm an Apple Music user, but we finally made the leap to using Google Assistant and we bought 4 Google Minis throughout the house which we use as speakers in the kids room and as assistants to connect our Sonos Speakers. Apple Music counts devices, not users, so we've never had a problem having different songs playing simaltaneously in different rooms and on different devices. But I've recently made the switch to Spotify Family and have hit a wall. 

Number 1: My kids are 2 and 4 and I WILL NOT create seperate accounts for them on Spotify or do Voice Match with Google. I actively do NOT want them controlling their Google Mini. I want to use it mainly for lullabies and bed time stories to help them go to sleep. Here's our use case.

I tuck my daughter in and start her Spotify lullabies on her Google Mini by using Google Assistant. I tuck my son in and start his Spotify bedtime story on his Google Mini. My wife and I listen to Spotify on our Sonos system. Repeat every night. 

We tried this and got the jarring "Your account is being used on another device." 

I reached out to Google Home support and they blamed it on Spotify. Can someone tell me if there is a solution or if this clear gap is acknowledged by Spotify and on their roadmap? 

Thanks.

Top Answer
Katerina
Spotify Legend

Hey there folks,

Thanks for posting about this here in the Community!

It's not possible for several people to listen to the same account on different devices simultaneously. This is because Spotify accounts are for personal use and create recommendations for the individual using the account.

You might also be interested in Spotify Kids. Right now, the Spotify Kids app is only available in a few select markets, so no worries if you're having troubles seeing it. We hope to have it available in other markets soon!

There's an idea about adding Spotify Connect in the Spotify Kids app - we'd recommend adding your +VOTE and feedback in a comment there to show your support and contribute to the discussion.

However, other users have shared that they'd like to see an option to switch on Kid's Mode on their Spotify accounts to allow younger kids using their account. If this sounds like what you have in mind too, we'd recommend adding your +VOTE and feedback in this idea

Hope this info is useful but don't hesitate to give us a shout if there's anything else we can help with.

Have a lovely day 🙂

21 Replies

Hi Katrina,

Any updates on resolving the Spotify Kids connectivity? Looks like we are getting a lot of people requesting the update..... How many votes or likes does one’s idea need before Spotify considers making the adjustments?

We did buy the family plan and Still can’t use the Spotify kids with the google home/mini. I want the kids to only use kids and the adults use a different one

Suggested posts