Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Why can't 12 year olds have their own account?

Why can't 12 year olds have their own account?

Premium Kids specifically says for kids "under 12".  I tried to add an account for my son under our Premium Family account and cannot!  This is misleading and very frustrating.  I can certainly use my own judgement and monitor what my kids listen to WITHOUT help from Spotify.  Sorry that I started a Family plan now.  I see that many others have had this issue and this should be rectified IMMEDIATELY!  Otherwise this company is involved with bad business policies

Top Answer
Billy-J
Spotify Star

Hey @VinnyNalli, thanks for reaching out to the Community!

Kids accounts can be created by the manager of a Premium Family plan. Each Kids account takes up 1 slot in the plan (out of a maximum of 6). The first time you open Spotify Kids, you’re prompted to create a Kids account.

You can create more Kids accounts in the Spotify Kids app at any time following these steps:

1. Tap the avatar in the top-left.
  2. Tap Grown-ups.
  3. Enter your Spotify Kids app PIN.
  4. Tap Add a Kids account under KIDS ACCOUNTS.

You can choose if you want them to hear audio for younger or older kids, and can change these settings at any time.

If that doesn't help, attach a screenshot of what happens when you try to create a Kids account. Make sure to hide sensitive information when you're posting to the Community.

Let me know how this goes!

8 Replies

Hey @VinnyNalli, thanks for reaching out to the Community!

Kids accounts can be created by the manager of a Premium Family plan. Each Kids account takes up 1 slot in the plan (out of a maximum of 6). The first time you open Spotify Kids, you’re prompted to create a Kids account.

You can create more Kids accounts in the Spotify Kids app at any time following these steps:

1. Tap the avatar in the top-left.
  2. Tap Grown-ups.
  3. Enter your Spotify Kids app PIN.
  4. Tap Add a Kids account under KIDS ACCOUNTS.

You can choose if you want them to hear audio for younger or older kids, and can change these settings at any time.

If that doesn't help, attach a screenshot of what happens when you try to create a Kids account. Make sure to hide sensitive information when you're posting to the Community.

Let me know how this goes!

Billy-JSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

You can do what Billy J told you to do. Also, 12-year-olds cannot have their "own account." However, like Billy said, you can make an account for them.

I have the same problem. Have just changed to a Family subscription. When I tried to make an account for my 10-year-old, I was told he's too young. When I tried to download Spotify Kids, I was told that it's not available in my country. What is this?

Hi @fisla,

Thank you for posting on the Community, and welcome!

At the moment Spotify Kids is available in Australia, Argentina, Brazil, Canada, Denmark, France, Germany, Ireland, Japan, UK, US, Mexico, New Zealand and Sweden.

If you're in one of those countries, please make sure your account is registered there, in order to access this feature with the steps shared by @Billy-J.

Hope this helps.

JulianModerator

If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

Within Spotify Kids I can choose between younger 0-6 and older 6-12 kids. What about the group of kids between 12-16? As they can't have their own real account yet.

Hey @wackinger,

Thanks for posting in the Community.

For kids between 12-16 we also recommend the Kids app, as our terms and conditions limit the usage of the main Spotify app to users that are not underage.

But under your control and supervision it is also OK to let an underage user use your account with the main app.

Hope this clears things a bit,

Cheers!

DianModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Seems like I cannot even download the app to my 11 years old phone . How to resolve this?

Hey @Cssun86 ,

Thanks for the reply.

Are you talking about the Kids app or the regular Spotify app? The regular Spotify app has a certain age limitation, which is set by the region you're residing in.

Hope this clears things a bit,

Cheers!

DianModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Suggested posts