Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Wrong Country was set automatically when I added my account (family invitation) - How to change

Wrong Country was set automatically when I added my account (family invitation) - How to change

I received an invitation to join 'my' family as we just upgraded from a 1 User to a Family acccount. When I clicked on the link and added my new account - there were no place to specify the Country, but then when I was going to add he subscription 'code' - it failed because it was apperently set to US, but I live in Switzerland (and the '1' account we upgraded is of course set to Switzerland. My question is how I can change the country from US to Switzerland for my 'just created' account?

Thanks

6 Replies

Can someone get back to me ASAP pls how to solve this. How can it be that US was set automatically. How to change it to CH?

Anyone at Spotify Helpdesk Working today?

Thanks

Hey @PlayerManMR,

Spotify always checks the country of your payment method. Have you used a US payment method?

Let me know.

MaximSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hi, Thanks for reply. The family account was paid with PayPal, and no clue what country that is. The original '1 Premium' account is registered in Switzerland, and when I clicked on the 'Family Invitation' link (sent from that account) I received to my gmail - then my PC had an IP address in Switzerland (just checked that). I paid the PayPal from another PC yesterday (still physically located in Switzerland) - and I cannot say if that machines IP was US or CH as I used my machine at work. It might be so that that that PC is routed via US as I work in a Swiss company but is part of a US company - so the IP adress could have been US (I have no clue).

For me it is obvious that IF the master account is CH, then the Family member should be CH by default - and not depending on the IP address for payment.

How can this be solved? Can Spotify change the country or can I delete the 'new' account. The problem is that when I invited 'me' as a family member, I used my gmail email, and I don't think I can send another family invitation to the same email again.

Bottom request: Pls change the country from US to CH.

It doesn't really matter from which country the IP address is when upgrading. The important thing is the country of the payment method, it decides what will be set as country setting.

It does sound like you've used a US payment method. You can learn how you can update your account's country setting at https://support.spotify.com/account_payment_help/account_settings/how-can-i-change-my-country-settin....
MaximSpotify Star

Hi Again and thanks a lot Maxim for the suggestion. I looked into it and tried – but the problem is that my new user ‘PlayerManMR’ was apparently defined as a ‘Free’ User by Spotify - because of the automatic failure to set US as country – and it is only US displayed in the drop-down list. In order for me to change the country– I need to ‘subscribe’ as a Premium User – which we already do as a Premium Family member by paying CHF 19.95 per month. I don’t want to enter my Credit/PayPal details and pay almost twice.

Maybe I missed something obvious – but I see this as a catch 22 situation.

I really appreciate your replies Maxim, thanks! - but I wonder if Spotify actually have a helpdesk as they don’t seem to bother? Or?

Thanks

Can you please log out and back in with your username (playermanmr)? After you've done that, please try changing your country setting again.

Also, are you currently located in Switzerland or not? If so, are you using a VPN?

Thanks 🙂

MaximSpotify Star

Suggested posts