Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Charged full price for premium but I have student account

Charged full price for premium but I have student account

My Question or Issue

So in January, I received an email saying that my student account was about to expire if I didn't extend it. So I went through all the verification steps and got my student account extended, yet I've still been charged full price for a premium account ever since. Can I get a refund?

18 Replies

Hey there @mdswheeler

Thanks for searching for the answer you need here! 

Premium Student is valid for up to 12 months from the date you subscribed. When the discount expires, your subscription automatically continues at the standard rate for Premium Individual unless you cancel or apply for another year (with a 4 year limit). 

To renew your discount simply open this link and follow all the steps. Don't worry, you won't be charged additionally after you do this. It's just a mere confirmation of the payment details for your student discount.

Here you can read more about Spotify's refund policy. 

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any more questions. 

Hi, 

I've experienced the same - I've been charged full price for a premium account, but have a student account. I renewed my account on 25/02/2020 (I have the SheerID Verification Email as proof), however was charged the full price today (7th April 2020). I have again set up the student account renewal from today, in hope that I don't get charged the full price again next month. 

Can I please have a discount or the funds applied to the following month?

I've also checked the refund policy page you linked, however there's no option to lodge a claim for refund. It would be great if you could reach out & help me get this sorted.

Thank you.

Hey @0umjb00frossies!

Thanks for the question, we'll gladly explain a bit more.

When a student discount expires, you'll need to get verified by SheerID in order to apply the discount to your account. Once the discount is applied, you also need to activate it by going through the checkout page.

You mention that you've done this today so you shouldn't see any more charges that are not at the student rate.

When it comes to compensation, you could follow the link for more info under the tab ''I don't want Premium anymore'' on our refund policy page.

Let us know if this helps. We're always here if you have any further questions 🙂

ElenaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

The same happened to me, but when I'm about to renew again, the web page shows that I already took the offer. Stills to charge me like if it is a premium account. I've tried in many different ways to solve, but I can't.

Hey there @joaoviniciuss4!

Welcome to the Community and thanks for reaching out to us.

You can start off by checking your inbox to see if you've received a verification confirmation email from SheerID. You should be able to apply the discount on your account by clicking on the link in that email.

If that doesn't solve the issue, feel free to take a look at this Spotify Answer that has some other steps that you can try.

Keep us in the loop and don't hesitate to get back to us if you need any more help.

ElenaModerator

Today you tried to perform (16/04/2020) the payment of premium for students, as it is my billing date; but I said that I have to pay the standard price when my premium for students due 09/2020

Captura.JPG
Captura0.JPG

It happened to me twice , at first time i didn't get notification about my student subscription expire and i charged for normal user ... also after i refresh my student subscription for some reason i i t charged again for a normal user .

I want refund my money.

Hey there @Rango196,

Thanks for searching for the answer you need here!

Keep in mind that the verification of your student status is a separate process from the activation of the discount itself. To activate the discount once you are verified you have to click on the Get Premium button in the confirmation mail sent from SheerID. Alternatively you can do it via this page. Note that in either case you have to re-enter your payment details to complete the process.

You can double check whether or not the discount has been successfully activated by going to your account page and looking up the amount of the next due payment. You'll find it in the Your plan section of the Account overview.

Hope you find this useful. Keep us posted how you get on.

Have a great day!

Mihail Moderator

I changed with my wife to duo premium (I had Premium and my wife Free)

Now I am charged both Premium and Duo Premium! What to do?

Hey there @Lilliputti,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community! Don't worry we're here to help 🙂

It might be the case that you have upgraded your wife's account to Premium Duo while maintaining your own individual Premium subscription. We recommend that you both check the Your subscription section in your account page

If that's the case the manager account of Premium Duo can send an invite to the other. Upon joining the plan the individual Premium subscription will be automatically canceled. You'll find detailed instructions on how to add or remove members of a Premium Family or Duo plan here.  

If that doesn't fix things you can upload screenshots of your account pages. Just  be sure to hide any personal or sensitive information. You can use the Insert Photos option in the post editor to do this.

Hope this helps. Let us know how you get on.

Have a great day!

Mihail Moderator

The same happened for me even though I renewed my account one month ago. I got charged for the full prize even though I renewed it.

Hey there @Melinaam,

Thanks for reaching out - we’re here to help 🙂

If you've already been verified by SheerID, we'd suggest you check your Spam and Junk folders, as well as any other filtered folders for the email with your discount activation link.

Keep in mind that your student discount is not automatically activated upon approval of your student verification request. You will need to click on the link that was sent to your email in order for the discount to be applied to your account.

The last step you'll have to do once you're verified as a student is to go here and update your payment details. The changes will take place with the next billing date.

You can also always check the status of your subscription on your account page, under Your plan.

For full info on Premium Student you can visit our support page here.

Hope this information is useful! Let us know if you have any other questions.

XeniaModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

I already applied for it but got no confirmation in my emails. It says " You have already redeemed this offer."

Hey @julia222,

Thanks for reaching out to us and welcome to the Community 🙂

If you've already been verified by SheerID, we'd suggest you check your Spam and Junk folders, as well as any other filtered folders for the email with your discount activation link.

The link is active for 7 days. If it is no longer active or you can't see an email from SheerID, you can get in touch with SheerID to request a new link.

The last step will be to head here and update your payment details. That way the changes can take effect from your next billing date.  

Hope this helps. We'll be right here if you have any questions.

Ver Moderator

How do I get a REFUND of the extra $5.40 that was charged?

Hi @kkfabb,

Welcome to the Community and thanks for reaching out!

It's best you get in touch with our Customer Support team about this as they can take a closer look into the matter and help you with your request. You can get in touch with them here.

The Community is always here if there's anything else you need assistance with.

Cheers!

YordanModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

Hey, i supposed have the student plan and the last two months they charged me the individual price and i already update my plan and still charging me the normal price 

I had a active premium student plan but the discount isn’t applying, I get charged full price of the premium solo plan 

Plan

Student

Country

México

Device

iPhone 14

Operating System

(iOS 16)

My Question or Issue

Suggested posts