Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

College Premium payment not working

College Premium payment not working

Hello,

I was trying to pay for college student premium.

My credit card charged but premium college student account not activated. I have tried with different credit cards but still no success. And everytime amount has been deducted from my card and i get message "something went wrong". So far three times the amount has been deducted.

I have tried browser change, cache delete, using different machines, android etc. Nothing worked.

Please suggest/resolve.

Thanks

18 Replies

Hey there @nidhir,

Thanks for searching for the answer you need here! 

It's possible that you have activated the Student discount on one account, but then you logged in to a different one. To find out if you have more than one Spotify-account, we suggest you check out the steps described here

You can tell which account you're logged in by looking at your Spotify username (which you'll find here in your Account page under Profile).

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any more questions and we'll be happy to assist.

Thanks for the reply.

The account that I am using clearly shows that student discount option is available. See attached screenshot for this.

And when I use it, I am presented with payment screen. After the payment, the amount is deducted and a message is shown "something went wrong".

Let me know if you need account details to look into.

Thanks

Screenshot_2020-01-29-18-46-48-663_com.diune.pictures.jpg

Hey @nidhir

Thanks for getting back to us.

Looking at the screenshot you've provided, we see the message confirming you've successfully verified your student status. The next step is setting up the preferred payment method. 

We suggest you open the same page in a private/incognito window and click the blue button GET PREMIUM. This way you should be able to easily follow the steps and update your payment method to activate the Student discount.

Stay tuned!

Hello, 

I already did that earlier. Opened in incognito. Clicked get premium. Paid using my credit card. Amount deducted for which i received a message from my bank. Payment done. But at the end I get a message "something went wrong".

Thanks

Hey @nidhir

Thanks for providing us with more info about that.

Would you mind contacting SheerID directly? This is Spotify's partner responsible for verifying your student status before you get the discount.

The folks at SheerID will be able to shed some more light upon what might be causing this issue with your account. Let us know about their response once you've got it and we'll be able to help further. 

Hope you'll find this info useful. We'll look out for your reply!

Thanks for replying.

SheerId has already confirmed student status. I have received the following message from them earlier:

You're enrolled! Go back to Spotify to complete your Premium for Students purchase.
This is an automated message from SheerID. You opted to receive this message. You won't receive additional SMS messages.

And on Spotify, the problem occurs after the payment. SheerId is not causing any problem. The SheerId student checking step is done. See attached screenshot. 

Note: This screenshot is just after the payment is done and my credit card is charged. 

Regards

Screenshot_2020-01-30-11-05-30-410_com.android.browser.jpg

Hey @nidhir

Thanks for your response. 

Can you tell us the status of the transaction as appearing on your bank statement? If your Spotify payment is marked as 'pending' on the statement, it might not have gone through successfully.

When you submit a payment, your bank puts the funds aside as ‘pending’. If the payment fails, the pending status will expire and the funds will soon be returned to you.

We also suggest you check this help page. You can choose the steps to perform based on your preferred payment method.  

Hope this helps. Keep us posted!

The credit card transaction reflects in my account in 2-3 days. It does not show right away. Currently I see transactions till 27th Jan.

I will get back to you on this in couple of days.

Thanks

Hey, 

For both the cards that I have tried, all transactions have been reverted and the amount refunded. I dont know what could be the problem. Should arrange some other card and try with that? I dont dont any other payment wallet or account. Please suggest.

Thanks

Hi @nidhir,

Thanks for getting back to us! 

Can you tell us which country you're from?

Also,could you confirm you're using credit and not debit cards?

Thanks in advance!

PetyaModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

Hello,

I am using credit cards which have international transactions enabled. I have previously used them on US websites and they worked fine. I am from India.

Spotify  recently launched here so I wanted to try the premium using student discount. I can try with debit card also but have not tried that yet. 

Thanks

Hi @nidhir,

Thanks for keeping us in the loop! 

Thanks for confirming your country. Many debit cards in India don’t allow recurring payments. If you try with a debit card but it doesn't allow recurring payments, you'll get an error message such as "This card doesn’t allow monthly billing. If your card has been charged, we’ll reverse the transaction.You can still get Premium - just change to a prepaid plan, or try another card."

Another thing you could give a try is subscribing through this link on a Desktop device - https://www.spotify.com/account/overview/ .

You should be able to pay with VISA, Mastercard, UPI, or through PAYTM. You can see the payment methods available to you on your account page.

If it doesn't do the trick, can you use an alternative payment method? 

We'll be keeping an eye out for your reply.

PetyaModerator

If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

Hello, 

Thanks for the reply. I selected a prepaid plan and it is working fine for that option. You may be correct that recurring payment is somehow not working well with all my credit cards.

I thank both @Petya and @Ivan for taking out their time and providing solutions to the users. 

Regards

N

Hello, I've been facing the similar problem, and it isn't that my card doesn't allow for recurring payments or isn't from the same company, it just asks for the OTP verification and then goes back to the page where it shows "something went wrong, try again or get help".

I've tried different ISPs, different cards, different browsers, and have had no luck.

hello @Petya

I chose the monthly student premium. I gave debit card details and it debited Rs.2. But the account doesn't have any premium.
Please help!

hello 
I chose for student premium account. I provided my debit card details. It debited Rs.2. But the premium account isn't activated. Please Help.

Hey @devuu,

Thanks for posting in the Community.

Can you double check the email address of your account on which you've activated the Student Premium subscription and the email address of the account you're logged in on? They should match. On this page you can find out how to further check if you have multiple accounts and are logged in on the wrong one.

On another note, if you've tried to activate a trial subscription, but have already had a trial subscription before, you won't be able to get another trial.

Let us know how that went,

Cheers!

DianModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

I purchased the one time payment. And it worked I guess my dsbit card
doesn't support monthly debit.

Suggested posts