Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Student Discount with Different Email

Solved!

Student Discount with Different Email

Hi! I just applied for my student discount, but my Spotify account is currently linked with my facebook account -- which is not connected to my college email ID. While applying, I only entered the name of my college (wasn't asked to enter college email, and hence didn't get any confirmation email). I'm confused as to how it'll be verified that I'm in fact a student. Thanks!

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi CTL1 and welcome! 🙂

You should not have to change your email or use your .edu email in order to receive the student promotion. Spotify uses the SheerID service to verify that you are enrolled based on the school info you provided at sign up.
Unless you are signed up with another provider other than Spotify, you should be able to use your current Facebook account. The only difference from your current account and the Student one will be when the payment discount takes effect.
If you just signed up for it there is a wait time of up to 28 days for verification and once verified, the discount will apply at your next billing cycle.
On that note, if you are currently paying for Premium through Paypal or Prepaid cards you will need to update your payment type since you cannot pay for the student discount with those pay types.

I hope this was helpful! 🙂

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Hi ranamihir and welcome to the Spotify community! 😄

Have you had a chance to check out the support page for Spotify for students here?
It answers quite a few common questions and issues around the plan.
I have also copied over some info below I think might be relevant to your concern.

Let me know if I can be of any more assistance and have a good one! 🙂

It can take up to 28 days for your student credentials to be verified.

If we’re unable to verify your student I.D., you won’t be eligible to claim the student discount. In this instance, any charges will show on your statement as ‘pending’, meaning no money has actually been taken.

Once the bank receives the confirmation that your student I.D. failed to verify, the ‘pending’ charge will be refunded. This can take up to 48 hours, depending on your bank. You can reach out to them for more information.

Otherwise, try logging out and back in. Occasionally this is needed to force a sync of info between your device and our account system.

It’s also worth checking you’re logged into the right account.

For more help, check out Why isn't my Premium subscription working?

If your college/university doesn’t appear on the list provided, you can request SheerID to get it added. Just fill in this form, and SheerID will email you if it’s accepted to the approved list. 

I have the same problem. My spotify is connected to my facebook and I don't use my .edu address there. Should I change my email address in the Spotify account? How does this affect my already existing Spotify account? SPOTIFY FAQ DOES NOT ANSWER THIS. Thanks for any help.

Marked as solution

Hi CTL1 and welcome! 🙂

You should not have to change your email or use your .edu email in order to receive the student promotion. Spotify uses the SheerID service to verify that you are enrolled based on the school info you provided at sign up.
Unless you are signed up with another provider other than Spotify, you should be able to use your current Facebook account. The only difference from your current account and the Student one will be when the payment discount takes effect.
If you just signed up for it there is a wait time of up to 28 days for verification and once verified, the discount will apply at your next billing cycle.
On that note, if you are currently paying for Premium through Paypal or Prepaid cards you will need to update your payment type since you cannot pay for the student discount with those pay types.

I hope this was helpful! 🙂

Suggested posts