Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Invited guests can't join my Spotify Family account or redeem

Invited guests can't join my Spotify Family account or redeem

Hi,

I recently upgraded my accunt this afternoon from Premium to Spotify Family and added a "Me plus 2" package. I then checked my account online and it had been upgraded so I invited 2 other family members to sign up - when they click on the email invite link "Accept Invitation" it sent them to a web page with the followng statement (and we tried this several times with no luck):

Cannot join Spotify Family
Sorry! You're already a member of this (or another) Family plan. Please click below to switch to the account that you want to join to the Family plan.

But this is the account that has been invited from to join. I used different email addresses (ones not associated with this account) so I'm baffled how / why it would know what account they are associated with or say the above.

Please let me know what's going on?

Cheers

Martin

spotify-family-problem.png
19 Replies

Hello @HG-Family, welcome to the Spotify Community!

Do the family members have a Premium subscription?

I have the same issue. My wife does have premium subscription thru Facebook. I want to add her current account to the my newly created Family account so that she keeps her music and not have to create a new account. Getting the below msg:

Sorry! You're already a member of this (or another) Family plan. Please click below to switch to the account that you want to join to the Family plan.

Hey @accandia, welcome to the Spotify Community!

All the members that join the Family Plan need to be on a Free subscription, this means that your wife needs to cancel its Premium subscription to join the Family Plan.

i have the same problem. i had a fee account that i upgraded to premium through iTunes. when i found out i was paying more than going through spotify directly, i deleted my credit card so that the subscription couldn't renew. i received a message a month later from spotify saying, "We're sad to see you go. We couldn't take your payment, so we have paused your subscription for now. You will now start hearing ads and you can no longer listen to your favourite songs offline. The good news is, Premium is just a click away." so, assuming that premium was just a click away, we then signed up for a family plan and paid the subscription fee for the whole family. however, when i tried to link my (no longer preimium) account to the family plan i received the message, "Sorry! You're already a member of this (or another) Family plan. Please click below to switch to the account that you want to join to the Family plan." thinking i could start fresh, i created a new free spotify account with a different email. but when i try to link that email to the family plan it doesn't work either - probably because the family plan invititation was sent to the original email. but either way, what to do? spotify has already collected the funds for the family plan but i can't join. 

hi do invited family members need to have a free account to accept invitation?

I have a similar problem I am not able to join my brothers family premium deal except I'm on the free Spotify so there shouldn't be a problem, but every time he tries to add me to the plan he gets so far and the it just says "an error has occurred"

the switch accounts doesnt work

husband set up premium family acct, i already had free account

it lets me download some songs but still get all adds

cant share music from spouse

followed all instructions for issue.  deleted and installed several times

switch accounts doesnt work

I am a free user but was just added to my daughter's premium account however there doesn't seem to be a way to switch over to the premium account because when I use the URl with the token she provided it just goes to the standard log-in account page. None of the below answers handle my situation. Is there anyone that can resolve this issue?

I have the same problem. My wife has a free subscription and after adding her to my family account we get all errors and are not able to use spotify at the same time. this does not work all. It's extremely irritating to have to spend so much time on such a simple topic, please please please fire your UX designer 🙂

and by the way how do I get my money back which I am paying to much now....also through this community....?

I have same problem.  The upgrade to Family Plan from Premium is not working.  Only 1 person at a time can use spotify even though we all went through the email invite steps.  Please can somehome help me.... Metallica might be great for my teen son but I'm losing my mind!

I had the same issue.  Comments on this bulletin board combined with trial and error, it was figured out  Here's what worked for us:

1. The family member to be invited must already have a Spotify account.  If they don't have one, have them set up a free one.
  2. The primary account owner of the family membership needs to get the Spotify email address of the family member you're inviting.
  3. The primary account owner logs in and sends an invite to the new family member, using the same email address that person used to set up their free account (or their existing account).
  4. Invited user logs into Spotify first - stay logged in.
  5. Invited user opens new browser page (being sure to stay logged into Spotify on the other), goes to email account and opens Spotify invitation.  
  6. Click on "Accept Invitation" link in email.
  7. Once system realizes the email address for the invitation is the same as the one where the invited user is already logged in, the invite code will auto-populate on the screen and the user may complete steps for the invitation.

I hope this helps for adding new users.  As far as switching accounts, I'm not sure about that but perhaps the above steps can be of assistance for that, as well.

Creating completely new e-mail accounts and Spotify accounts instead of using the ones we already had worked for us. But it is completely ridiculous to have to go through all that. We love music but now hate Spotify!

I recently purchased family sharing. I have managed to add kids but can't add partner as it keeps saying incorrect username or password (but he can access his free account).

Tried going through spotify chat and it won't let me type in any text so they email saying try FAQ! Very frustrating.... can anyone help please 😀

I am living in Norway. I just bought family subscription and added my family, getting error where it says that we need to be in the same country.. in account my account is suddenly set up as a US account and there is no option to change.. Additional when I click on my account to look it takes me direct to my wife's account.. it's so weird the home thing.. and trying to get through to your twitter support is just wast of time.. so now I am stuck with a family subscription that does not work..

Epic fail Spotify! Figure this nonsense or the Apple machine gets more of my money and you circle the drain

I tried this and get same message "unable to join this family plan". I did not have spotify before this - created free account. He resent the invite multiple times - still wont work. Very very very frustrating.  Emailed support at Spotify - hope to get a response. Not worth the hassle! 

not working like wrote .... needed some **bleep**ing confirmation and then got error about unable to join ....

My wife live with me, but she can’t not access the premium becoz of address is different, how can I resolve the problem?

Suggested posts