Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Connect - Multiple Speakers/Devices

Solved!

Spotify Connect - Multiple Speakers/Devices

My son has recently discovered the joy of using an Alexa device to listen to music in his bedroom. Unfortunately, that stops music we're listening to in the living room since all the devices were linked to my personal Spotify account. To get around that, I've created an account for him on our Family Subscription but when I go to play music on the Alexa device with his account logged in on my android, it doesn't show up as an available Spotify Connect device. When I log in with my account on the same android, it does. How can I disassociate the Alexa device from my personal account so that my son can play to it?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

For anybody who stumbles across this thread:

I had to create a new Amazon account, deregister the Echo from my amazon account, add it to his and then bind his new Spotify account to the new Amazon account. Et voila! C'est magnifique!

View solution in original post

25 Replies

Hi munra. You're correct, an account can only play one device at a time. First, remove his device from your personal spotify account. Then login his own spotify account to a different phone or laptop, connecting to the alexa device. Note that your device works as a 'remote control' so even though he has a separate acct, it must be logged in to a different device, and not your phone. Hope this helps 😄

Therein lies the rub...how would I remove the Echo Dot from my personal account? I looked in Offline Devices but it didn't show up there. Where else would I remove it?

Login to your spotify account at www.spotify.com. Go to account > Offline devices > remove. I suppose your son can still access the alexa device as long as you're phone is not connected to it, try turning off your bluetooth to make sure you're not. Have you already tried logging in his account to a different phone and connecting to the alexa?

Unfortunately, the Echo doesn't show up in the Offline Devices listing. Not that one or the Echo we have in the living room. I'll try turning off bluetooth and see if that gets me anywhere...

Yep. try logging in his account to a different phone then connect that to alexa. Goodluck 🙂

Marked as solution

For anybody who stumbles across this thread:

I had to create a new Amazon account, deregister the Echo from my amazon account, add it to his and then bind his new Spotify account to the new Amazon account. Et voila! C'est magnifique!

You could also create an Amazon Household with both your accounts. The benefit is that you then switch between your accounts on either device simply by tell Alexa to switch profile.

Please explain using Household Amazon Account with Echo  in more detail.  I just set up Household Amazon for my husband, my 2 children and me.  We already have family Spotify Plan. So now we each have our own Amazon & Spotify profiles ( within both conpanies’ Household/ family plans).  NOW, how do I link  each person’s Amazon Household profile to this/ her own Spotify profile and then what do we say to Alexa to get anEcho to play from a specific persons’s Spotify profile?  And finally what say to her when want to switch from one persons spitufy profile to another’s on same Echo?  THANK YOU in advance for any help you can give me on this!

I would like to know the exact same thing. Each family member has an Echo in their room, and we all have our own Spotify accounts with the family plan. I would like each person to be able to play their own account on their own Echo without it stealing the music from what I am listemning too. It's the main reason I got the family plan because I was tired of Spotify being cut off on me only to find that someone is playing on another device in another room.

OK, I see there have been a couple requests to ask how we have it set up.

First of all, we have Amazon household set up with including both mine and my wife's Amazon accounts. We also have a Spotify family although I'm not sure if that's necessary, just as long as each member has his or her own account.

I then logged onto the Alexa portal (I use https://alexa.amazon.co.uk) using my own Amazon account. I selected Settings on the left and then under Accounts, selected Music and Media. I was then able to link to my own personal Spotify account.

My wife then did the same, logging into the Alexa portal using her Amazon account and linking to her own Spotify account.

Now to listen to Spotify with my account I just have to make sure the Echo device is set to my profile, i.e. Amazon account, and if not, ask Alexa to switch profiles. Generally, my profile is selected for the living room and hers is selected in the bedroom.

Hope this helps some people.

Thanks...I will try this today!

That worked, thanks!

You can also temporarily connect an Echo to any Spotify account by saying "Alexa, Spotify Connect".  The Amazon Echo will now show in the Spotify app of every mobile phone connected to the say WiFi network as the Echo.

This solution works perfectly for adult accounts.  But Alexa won't switch to a child profile, and you can only have two adult profiles in an Amazon Household.  So how do you get the kids' Echos to play from their own Spotify accounts?

I dont think they can.  Here is best info I've come across:   Go to your Alexa App, click on the menu lines in upper left corner, choose Settings, scroll all the way down to bottom (past set up a new device and 4 lines above sign out) and click on Household Profile (even if don't have one), click on Learn More at bottom of screen just above start.    

Here is place to find best info I've come across regarding use of Amazon Household Account and Alexa devices:   Go to your Alexa App, click on the menu lines in upper left corner, choose Settings, scroll all the way down to bottom (past set up a new device and 4 lines above sign out) and click on Household Profile (even if don't have one), click on Learn More at bottom of screen just above start.    

Try setting up each Echo Dot with a Bluetooth connection to each device w a different Spotify account rather than wifi! I have the Echo linked to my Spotify account via a wifi connection, then I have Echo Dot's in each of my kid's rooms and they each have a Spotify account under the Family plan. Best way I have found to solve this issue is to connect the device to the Bluetooth rather than wifi - Alexa (echo dot) won't register as a device or as wifi speaker option in the Spotify app but if you go on the device (iPad in my case) and select the Echo Dot Bluetooth, it instantly solved the problem. Hope this helps!

This very complicated process seems to be the heart of what I need to know. I just got an echo dot for my daughter's 9 year birthday (tomorrow). I have the dot, installed the app and am ready to move forward. We have Spotify Family plan and she is a household member of Amazon. If I do what you've just said, and connect her phone via bluetooth to the dot, she'll be able to play her Spotify account, correct? But she will be connected to my Amazon account for everything else because we had to set the Alexa app up with my account? Having not done any of this before, I'm not sure of all the nuances of what this ential and the repercussions of all of this. Can you let me know if this is what is going to happen? The whole purpose of why I got this for her was to be able to play her music in her room but the other benefits of the dot would be fun for her to have as well. I'm pretty clueless - this is the only dot we have so far in our house.

This is how we do it as well... My account is the main account and my wife and kids have their own under sporify family. Whenever they want to listen to their play list / music, they do "Amazon... connect to Spotify" and on their phone / device they click the connect under spotify and vola! their account is not playing on the Echo.

Suggested posts