Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Account Hacked / Unknown Members Added for Google Home Mini Promotional Code

Solved!

Account Hacked / Unknown Members Added for Google Home Mini Promotional Code

Plan: Premium For Family

Device: Web Interface - My Account Settings via spotify.com / Third Party App?

My Question and Issue:

Sorry in advance for the long post with all the pictures however I feel they are necessary to fully understand what's happening here. I have a Premium Family Plan that I share only with my mom. Prior to switching to the Premium Family Plan we'd both been paying for Standard Premium ($9.99) since it was available for purchase in the United States sometime during the later half of 2011. Earlier today, I opened Spotify to find all my playlist deleted and numerous new playlist created with songs I'd never listen to nor heard of. Since there's no real customer support, I tweeted @SpotifyCares the following: 

Capture_Spotify_Tweet1.JPG

They quickly responed with the follwing, directing me to change my password:

Capture_Spotify_Tweet2.JPG

I was able to successfully change my password but noticed that 3 additional 'Family' Members/Users had been added to my account - people I've never heard of. I replied with the following message and ScreenShot:

Capture_Spotify_Tweet3.JPG

I successfully removed the users that did not belong, restored my playlists, and revoked permission to every external (Third Party) application including: PlayStation, Facebook, Lyrics App, and a few others I can't recall off the top of my head. I recall seeing the Google Home Mini Deal on SlickDeals so I figured I'd go back to my email and see what they'd (Spotify) sent me...

Capture_Spotify_Google Mini Now Available.jpg

I have Google Checkout, with valid payment method on file, and when I kept trying to checkout, it was not applying the discount...Did a bit more digging to find the 'Get It Now' link is formatted like so:

Capture_Spotify_CodeRedeemedErrorLink.jpg

(promoCode has been cropped to obscure full code)

There is a field at the final checkout screen to input a Promo Code if you have one, so I copied the code from link and manually entered it all to find the following error: 

{Snip - Community Moderator edit due to sensitive info} 

My Gmail account is very secure and I confirmed the Promo Code was not stolen via email by verifying all my Sign-ins and IP logs...Somehow they (whoever managed to gain access to my Spotify account) was able to 1) Make the request (reservation) for the Google Home Mini and 2) then able to retrieve the Promo Code and fraudulently redeem for themselves via Google Checkout. This makes me very concerned with how Spotify is handling my data. Then I see multiple posts about user's accounts being hacked one way or another - and I can only assume this influx of hacks is to obtain this Googe Home Mini Promo Code. My Question: How do I escalate this (as it's obviously an issue that needs to be addressed) and how do I get a replacement code as the one issued for account was fraudulently stolen and used by somehow hackers adding themselves to my Family Account? Thanks in advance for any suggestions....

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @carmichael,

Thanks for reaching out.

I'd recommend reaching back out to Spotify once more, so they can take another look at this. Alternatively, take a look at the second step in this support article.

Thanks!

MaximSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey @carmichael,

Thanks for reaching out.

I'd recommend reaching back out to Spotify once more, so they can take another look at this. Alternatively, take a look at the second step in this support article.

Thanks!

MaximSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hi There! 

This is exactly what ended up happening - I didn't realize we had the option to Live Chat. While unable to resolve via Chat - I just received word from Executive Cutomer Support that they'd be handling the case moving forward and to standby for more information. Thank you for taking the time to respond - I appreciate it! 

Suggested posts