Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Billing- when moving

Billing- when moving

I understand that when I move I need to cancel my family premium and create a new account. How does it work for billing. I was just invoiced and I am concerned that if I cancel and recreate another account that I will end up paying twice in one month since from what I read the remaining amount does not seem credited when cancelling. 

Is that the case or is there a system that tracks the rest of my details and know that it was I who cancelled and created the new account and will not double bill? Otherwise I assume that the other option would be to change my address not on the actual

move date but at the end of the billing cycle? 

In all, I find the process quite tedious and not very customer friendly. It does not help that there is a convoluted way after the new account is created to retrieve your playlists. It would seem so much easier to just the address!

Thanks!

My Question or Issue

3 Replies

Hi,

First of all, there's a clear distinguish between account and subscription. Normally you will never close or remove an account since this will mean you loose all your saved albums, songs and playlists.

An account can be coupled to a subscription. If it isn't coupled already, it will be automatically coupled to a spotify free subscription.

If you couple it to premium or family, that will be your subscription.

If you want to change your subscription, the best thing to do is to cancel your current subscription. Then wait until it will be downgraded to free at some time. Then create a new subscription.

Regards,

René

Thanks for your reply. 

Not sure it quite answers my question but might point to it. It provides further clarity on the difference between accounts and subscriptions. 

My question is really about moving and wanting to change the address and adding new family members to the family package.  I am concerned I will be double billed if I cancel now and create a new subscription with the new address as my billing cycle just started. 

From other answers on the community board, I infer that would indeed be the case. So the solution seems to be to wait until the end of subscription (or cancel it now as it will run its course) and later at the next billing cycle, create a new subscription with the new address and invite all family members, new and old. 

Did you infer correctly?

Thanks!

Yes indeed. Cancel your subscription. Wait until your account downgrades to spotify free. Then take a new subscription, in your case a family subscription.

This way you are sure you will not get billed twice.

Regards,

René

Suggested posts