Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Buying Family Plan for Family in US w/ Canadian Credit Card

Buying Family Plan for Family in US w/ Canadian Credit Card

Hi there. I live in Canada and would like to get my family living in the US the Spotify Family plan for Christmas. When I signed up, it wouldn't allow me to get a family plan with US as the country and a Canadian credit card , so I signed up with Canada as the country, entered my Canadian address, and my Canadian credit card info. But my family who will be using the account live in Boston. Is there any workaround for this issue? I don't have a US credit card.

6 Replies

Hey @user-removed, thanks for reaching out to the Community!

I'll be here to help.

In order for Premium Family to work with your members, you'll need to reside at the same physical address as everyone else on your plan.

In your case, you won't be able to use Premium Family with the other family members living in Boston, since you aren't at the same physical address as them.

There is some more info about Premium Family here.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any more questions 🙂 

Billy-JSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I'm not looking to use the account. I'm looking to buy it for my family using my Canadian credit card, but their address is in the US.

Hey @user-removed,

Thanks for getting back to me.

You'll need a US payment method if you would like to purchase Premium for US accounts.

One option is that you buy a gift card in the US and give it to your friends/family members. They can then upgrade to Family and the Premium time will be converted.

I hope this helps 🙂 

Billy-JSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

@Billy-J wrote:

One option is that you buy a gift card in the US and give it to your friends/family members. They can then upgrade to Family and the Premium time will be converted.

The terms and conditions for gift cards contains the following text:

Gift Cards, eGift Cards and other currency-denominated Cards cannot be redeemed for discounted or group subscriptions (such as student discounts, trial offers, Premium for families, or offers combining Premium with other companies’ products or services).

How would the premium time get "converted"??

Hey @Erin_Baxter,

Hope you don't mind me jumping in here.

I just wanted to confirm that what @Billy-J is correct, and that it doesn't contradict what is stated in the T&Cs.

To summarise: if you're already on a discounted or group subscription such as the ones mentioned above, you can't redeem your gift card. You can, however, redeem a gift card while still on a Premium Individual subscription, and then upgrade to, say, Premium Family.

If you do that, the Premium Individual time that you've paid for (e.g. 10 USD, equivalent to one month of Premium Individual in the US) will be converted to Premium Family time (roughly 2/3rds of a month of Premium Family, which costs 15USD in the US).

As a result, your renewal date will be brought forward on your subscription by roughly 10 days, which means you'll end up having around 20 days of Premium Family before having to renew.

Hope that clears things up!

@vetranohalliday - your best bet would be to purchase an e-card from an authorised retailer in the US (try Rakuten, Rapido or Paypal) and send it to your folks in the US via email.

Let us know how you get on! We'll be here in case you have any further questions.

I spoke with someone on customer support (via chat) and was told that I could not use a gift card. I would not consider this issue "resolved". I spent way too long trying to gift my family a Spotify subscription over the holidays and into the new year. In the end, I had to get my little sister on the phone to upgrade her account to Spotify Family and input my US credit card information. I've been living in Canada for 10+ years and never use that US credit card which means now I need to figure out how to pay off that credit card from my Canadian bank account. 

Spotify needs some flexibility in these situations. I was committed to finding a solution so I could gift Spotify Family for Christmas but it took way too long to find a workaround and the outcome is far from ideal or convenient.

Suggested posts