NEXT STEP

Can not add member to family

Can not add member to family

Hi,

Steps to reproduce my problem:
1. Got Spotify Premium, as a single user, account registered in Hungary

2. Traveled to Croatia for holidays

3. Upgraded plan to Family Premium, so that my whole family can use Spotify

4. Registered a Spotify account for my father using a personal email, successfully added him to the family

5. Registered a Spotify account for my sister, using her Facebook account

6. Under "account" section it states that her account is registered in Croatia

7. Try to add her to family plan

8. After entering the same address, it says we are in different countries.

Since her account plan currently is free, I am not able to change her country to Hungary.

Spotify, solve**bleep**!

6 Replies

Same problem. I have a Family Plan registered in Italy, I am currently on vacation in France, cannot add my daughter to the plan, because it says we are in different countries.
I'm thinking of discontinuing my Family Plan, because with these stupid limitations it is money for nothing.

Hey @sanisloandras and @00snn-_9rogd0,

Thanks posting here in the Community! We'll gladly shed some light on the situation.

In order for an account to join a Premium Family subscription, it and the managers account must have the same country settings. You can learn more on how to change this setting here

Keep in mind that a free account can only update the country to the one they are actually in. If the free account is created abroad, you must wait to return back home to do the change and join the plan. Once on Premium, the account can be used without restrictions also abroad.

Hope this is helpful but don't hesitate to let us know if you have any further questions!

Have a nice day.

Mihail Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I'm sorry to say this, Mihail, but your response was not usefull. You did not say anything new to me, only confirmed what I already know.

"Keep in mind that a free account can only update the country to the one they are actually in." - This is exactly what my problem is. The whole point of the family plan is that only 1 member of the family pays for the subscription. And all the others can enjoy the service for 'free'. But in this case, this is not guaranteed! If a member of the family has a free account, he can not change his country, only if he subscribes at least once for an individual premium plan. Only then he change his country. And only then he can unsubscribe, and "join the family". This is absurd.

Hey there @sanisloandras,

Thanks for getting back to us.

A user can change his country in the setting only to one he's currently in for a couple of reasons. Some of these include, but are not limited to the difference in content availability and legal agreements with the content creators from region to region.

On the other hand, only free accounts that match the country settings of the Premium Family manager can joint the plan in order to avoid abuse of the requirement that all members share the same address.

We understand how this might cause some frustration and will make sure that your feedback reaches the right teams. One possible solution for you can be to wait until you are back from you holidays and the add your family members to your plan. 

Hope you find this useful. Keep us posted if you have any questions.

Mihail Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

This post was almost 2 years ago, but Spotify has the same stupid restrictions still in!

Despite one of the advantages of having premium being you can "travel abroad" with it, it doesn't work with a family plan because... ? You're still paying for premium, you just don't get benefits 

Suggested posts