Cannot join Family Plan - There was a problem

Plan

Free/Trial - Family plan

Country

Spain

Operating System

Windows 10 and Android 9

My Question or Issue

I have a spotify premium trial expiring 13/02/21.

Now I want to join a Family plan but every time I try I get a message saying "There was a Problem - Please try again later".

I tried incognito tab, I cancelled my trial, change password...

After cancelling my trial I created an spotify duo, to have the same address and see if that was the error, I set the address to be the same as the Famiy Plan, I cancelled my duo and tried to join the Family but does not work

I am not sure if I need to wait until my "subscription" expires or if there is anything else I can do to make it work.

Attached my Available plans.

spotify.png
10 Replies

How many accounts are currently on the family premium?

There are empty spots.

Hi there @AdriaS,

Thanks for reaching out about this.

We can see on the screenshot you sent that you've already cancelled your Premium Duo subscription. 

Keep in mind that you can continue using the Premium features until your current subscription expires. Once your account reverts to free service, you'll be able to accept the invite to the Premium Family plan. 

If you have any questions, just let us know 🙂

ElenaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi Elena,

I am running into a similar issue.  To clarify, I cannot enroll in someone else's family plan until my duo plan expires and reverts to a free plan?  Will I lose my playlists or downloads, etc, when this happens?

Thank you for your help with this issue!

Hey @raykraymuse,

Thanks for posting in the Community.

You'll have to wait for the Duo plan to expire, yes. Your music library is safe independent of subscription type or subscription status. You can safely wait for your account to revert to free. The limitations of a free account are in the playback capabilities and not in the library management.

Hope this clears things a bit.

Cheers!

DianModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Hi, 

I do have a similar error message but I don’t have any active plans. I’m just a free user.

Thank you very much!

Why on earth is this not made clear on the "add family members" page? Or better yet - on the error page just put: "Wait until your current premium subscription expires before you join" or something like that. I just wasted like 3 hours on 2 different days, getting so mad at Spotify that I just about cancelled all my family's premium plans.

"There was a problem" is not at all helpful. Just makes people get angry and frustrated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, this is extremely lacking from a user experience standpoint.  I couldn't add my son who was still on his own Duo account, and the error message is so generic (It's about as good as "An idiopathic error occurred").  I get it now, we have to wait until it expires.  But Spotify: Have one dev spend about 10 minutes coding up a helpful error message and save thousands of hours of customer frustration (and community posts).

Exactly!

Suggested posts