Premium Family

Country

Denmark

Device

(iPhone 8, Samsung Galaxy 7)

Operating System

(Windows 10,etc.)

My Question or Issue

Whenever my wife starts playing, my playing stops! If I restart, her device stops playing. We do have seperate accounts! Furthermore, she sees what I am playing - and we do have separate accounts!

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Problem solved. It turned out to be that despite the fact that my wife and I have separate accounts, it was when she used Spotify through Sonos that the problem arose. So I deleted my account through her Sonos app and added her Spotify account and since then we haven't had any problems. 

View solution in original post

10 Replies

Hey there @Finitronc

Thanks for reaching out to the Community about this. 

What you describe usually happens when two users have logged in to the same Spotify-account. You can tell which account you're logged in by looking at your Spotify username (which you'll find here in your Account page under Profile).

After checking this, make sure each of you is logged in to their own Spotify-account. The best option is when each family member is logged in to their account on their own device. 

Hope this helps. Keep us posted.

We just signed up for à family membership but of course my husband and I want to keep all our playlists. We thought it meant that we could play our account at the same time at different units!? Do one of us have to start a new account?

Hey there @Marycash

Thanks for reaching out to the Community about this. 

When signing up for a Premium Family plan you only change the type of subscription and the monthly price. Your accounts and all contents you have saved, including the Playlists, will be saved. 

None of the members of the Premium Family is required to create a new account. As each member has already got their own account, they can easily listen to Spotify on separate devices. Just make sure each of you is logged in to their own Spotify-account. The best option is when each family member is logged in to their account on their own device. 

You can tell which account you're logged in by looking at your Spotify username (which you'll find here in your Account page under Profile).

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any more questions.

Hello and thank you! 
My husband and I have the same account since we have had premium. How do we do now to get two different but still have the same playlists? We thought we could just go on with the same account but be able to listen to the same at different units? 

sincerely

Maria

Hey there @Marycash

Thanks for getting back to us. 

One of you must go to this page and create a new Spotify account. Make sure you keep the login credentials so that you can log in to the account whenever you want to. 

Once you've created the new account, the owner of the old account must invite you to the Family subscription. They can do this by going to this page, scrolling down to Invite or remove members and following the listed steps. After finishing the steps, you become a member of the Premium Family plan

To get the same playlists you just need to find the old account within the Spotify app and follow the playlists you wish to by clicking the heart-shaped button below the playlist name. 

Hope this helps. Keep us posted.

I am having the same issue, but my mum and I are logged into our own accounts and on separate devices. We have tried logging in and out and also uninstalling and re-installing but nothing seems to work to allow us to both listen at the same time!

Hey there @Rachhh,

Thanks for tuning in here! 

To be absolutely sure that both you and your Mum are logged into separate accounts, we advise each of you to check the info on their account page (email, date of birth). 

Are you using Spotify Connect? 

On what devices are you attempting to play Spotify at the same time? 

Keep us posted, we'll keep out an eye for your reply 🙂 

PetyaModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

Hi Petya,

Yes, we are definitely on our own accounts with our own information and profile pictures.

It seems to usually happen when my mum is playing on a Bluetooth device like her Alexa and I am trying to play on my MacBook or phone.

Thank you,
Rachel

Hi @Rachhh,

Thanks for keeping us in the loop 🙂

I see you and your mum are using an Alexa device, which might be the reason why your music gets interrupted from time to time. You can read more about this in the Good to know section of this article

If you're interested in using voice commands for Alexa devices with different Spotify accounts, I'd recommend checking out this post and follow the steps.

Hope you'll find this info useful. Give us a shout if you need help with anything else.

XeniaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!
Marked as solution

Problem solved. It turned out to be that despite the fact that my wife and I have separate accounts, it was when she used Spotify through Sonos that the problem arose. So I deleted my account through her Sonos app and added her Spotify account and since then we haven't had any problems. 

Suggested posts